iphone 4 dust caps

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by abz1981, Feb 25, 2011.

1. abz1981 macrumors 65816

just got my iphone 4 replaced at apple store today. just wondering does anyone ever use one of them iphone 4 silicone dust caps for the dock or the headphone part of the iphone 4, to keep dust etc out?

2. Simm0nS777 macrumors 6502a

Just got one for like a buck off ebay. Ive had my 3GS for a year and a half and never had one but figured why not. I really like it a lot. Not only am I more comfortable about dust/the water sensors, I like the way it feels as I usually have my pinky on the dock connector when Im holding the phone and instead of it going in the connector it just rests on the rubber! Id definitely recommend one for so cheap!

3. nukem170 macrumors member

To be honest, those dust caps dont do a whole lot. Over the long run they are more annoying than anything else. They dont prevent from dust getting in the phone for 100%. Over time dust will get under the glass regardless. By then you can just open up the phone and clean up the dust from under neath the glass and you are good to go for another year or so depending on how big of an issue this is to you.

4. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

I've had a Otterbox Commuter on my 3GS for over a year now (with the built-in dock and headphone port protectors) and I don't have an ounce of dust in either one. They DO work.

FYI, you can get the silicone dock protectors at Radio Shack. A pack of 2 is $1.99.

5. Simm0nS777 macrumors 6502a

maybe they dont protect 100% but they protect better than not having one. After having my 3GS for a year and a half I saw a ton of dust and crap in the speakers/dock. I was lucky enough to get a free replacement out of warranty after my volume button fell off and figured for a buck why not. Even for resting my pinky on it instead of in the dock when holding it is worth the dollar.

6. abz1981 thread starter macrumors 65816

hey
    thanks for the replies. hmm might just get one though, for whatever protection it may give for dust going into the phone. it would be good to keep it clean etc. especially when it comes to selling my iphone, when iphone 6 comes out :)

7. Roadking macrumors 6502