iPhone 4 dying a slow death

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by jaywoo, Aug 17, 2011.

1. jaywoo macrumors newbie

Here's what it's doing (and not doing): Tonight I was listening to some music, and the screen dimmed, kind of shimmered and the phone died. I noticed the back was very warm.

After a while I was able to reboot it, and it came up for about a minute and died again. Got hot again on the back. I let it sit for a while and it finally came back up again. I tried synching it with my laptop, but it won't see the phone. As a matter of fact, even when plugged in to a charger, the phone doesn't see it. Won't charge. Tried multiple cables, still nada. The phone continues to die, then will come back. Then gets hot and dies. Oh, another thing, I can't get it out of headphone mode. If I have headphones plugged in, I get sound. Unplug them and it still is in headphone mode.

I tried going into DFU mode and it won't. Right now the phone is off, but is very warm. Won't boot at all. I tried the power button and home button for 10-15 seconds, nothing.

Any ideas would be great, otherwise I'm off to the AT&T store tomorrow.

BTW, the phone isn't jail broken, and it's whatever firmware is most current right now. Thanks for reading my ramblings!

2. TwistedPain macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

Just curious...does it have any water damage?

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You need to go to an Apple store. AT&T wont do anything for you and will just tell you to contact Apple so they can replace it under warranty.
    Assuming your 1 year hasnt expired yet.

4. jaywoo thread starter macrumors newbie

No water, unless persperation made it do it. I had just finished running and took it out of my arm band. I guess that's possible.

It's about two months old, so the warranty should be good. It won't boot at all now, I believe it is done.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Hope its not sweat cause if it tripped the moist sensors then they will not replace it for free and charge you $200 for a new one.