iPhone 4 earpice buzz / rattle

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jsimon77, Jun 29, 2010.

1. jsimon77 macrumors newbie

I just got my new iPhone yesterday. So far so good although I just ran into an issue. When I'm on the phone talking I'm getting a weird buzzing / rattle from the earpiece speaker. Almost sounds like the speaker is a bit blow. I really notice it when calling and getting the "ring, ring." And when the person talking on the other end gets a bit loud. I've never noticed this before on my 3.

Anybody else getting this? What should I do?

2. TonyL08 macrumors regular

I get that too, but I don't know what it's doing. I'm thinking about going to an Apple store tomorrow and checking if other phones sound the same.

3. jsimon77 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm going to do that as well. Will you let me know what you find and I'll do the same thing?

If there is an issue do you think the apple stores have replacements?

4. XCoNEPSILON macrumors member

XCoNEPSILON

If you're talking about the headphones that came with it, mine are doing the same. I know it's kind of dumb to get upset about, but those things cost $30.

5. daver.cl macrumors member

Are you using a bumper?

There's moving parts in the bumper case, so I've noticed a bit of a rattle/vibration when on a call (especially speakerphone) with the bumper attached.

6. jsimon77 thread starter macrumors newbie

Nope..no bumper. I kind of seems like if I put some pressure on the case near the ear piece it kind of stops.

7. kodek macrumors member

I have the same issue. It happens more often when I'm using skype with the higher quality codec. It's less noticeable when making a regular phone call. Still annoying as hell and distracting when talking to somebody else.

8. jsimon77 thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you think this is normal for the phone? I was planning on returning it for a new one?

9. TonyL08 macrumors regular

I have a Genius appointment for this afternoon for the issue. I'm a little nervous they'll replace it with a worse phone though, knowing some of the other issues that exist. We'll see.

10. hoonu macrumors regular

You know what... I heard the same thing on my mine walking to the gym the other day. I thought it was the headphones...

11. orange42 macrumors 6502a

I have the same problem. Please let us know what they do when you show it to them.

12. TonyL08 macrumors regular

I took mine in and the Genius made a call on it to listen to the speaker. He confirmed that it sounded bad and gave me a new phone. Easy as pie, and the new one sounds perfect.