iPhone 4 Ergonomics

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sarge, Jul 1, 2010.

1. sarge macrumors 6502a

sarge

Having owned all versions of the iphone I can declare this version of the phone to be superior to all the others, with a single exception: ergonomics

In my opinon the 1st generation phone was perfect - I loved the weight and balance of it- I even liked the sharp edge around the earjack. Yes,the aluminum back caused signal problems but I had far more dropped calls on the 3G network than I ever did on Edge (the network wasn't yet taxed w/millions of phones). Would I be willing to trade performance for ergonomics? No, but I certainly would be willing to trade size or style for comfort.
    I'm sure there are a lot of people out there willing to take the 4G off my hands, but I'll be hanging onto it even though I'd rather not hold on to it.

I'm guessing I'm in the minority here...

2. BruiserBear macrumors 6502a

It seems quite obvious the iPhone 4 was not built with comfort in the hand as it's first priority. The hard edges of the design do not sit nicely in a human hand. They do look cool in pictures though.

3. alejovh1 macrumors regular

The iPhone 4 is not comfortable to hold in my opinion. The overall design is nice

4. sarge thread starter macrumors 6502a

sarge

Yes, it's obvious but why did they sacrifice the ergo factor? Of all the devices they build the form factor matters most here. Reminds me of a metal folding chair - they stack easily but are damned uncomfortable to sit in.

5. psywzrd macrumors 68030

I totally agree with the OP. I had to pick up my naked 3GS yesterday to prep it to be sold and it feels SO much better in my hands than my iphone 4. The 3GS just has those curves that seem to fit much better in your hands than the 4. I had actually forgotten how nice the 3GS feels naked because I've always used a case, but I find it to be much more comfortable to hold than my 4. I'm hoping that a bumper will help that a little since I'm not going back to my 3GS.

6. smash1031 macrumors member

I agree. I miss the feel of the 3GS. Having said that, the bumper does add some comfort.

7. tommyboy21 macrumors member

It's funny cause I would have totally agreed that it felt weird to hold...until this morning. It's my third day of having the phone, and it just felt right in my hand today. This is my first iPhone so I don't really know what it was like to hold the other ones, but I'm fine with this one now. It just took me a few days to get used to it. :D

Now I'm questioning if I should get a case. I want protection for the phone, but maybe a bumper is the best way to keep the overall "feel" of the phone.

8. psywzrd macrumors 68030

I just picked up a bumper today and I have to admit that the phone does feel much better with the bumper on it. It's still not as good as the 3GS but it's a big improvement over the naked 4.

9. anthem550 macrumors member

I love how it feels in my hand without the bumper on. I actually hate using the bumper but I do while I'm at work because it sits on my desk all day.

10. Goaliegeek macrumors 6502a

Goaliegeek

It's certainly different than what I'm used too. The bumper helps a little bit. 1 reason why I like my 1st gen iPod Touch better than when I hold a 2nd gen and newer, is it's kinda harder to hold. Hard to explain, but I'm sure you guys know what I'm talking about. Thinner isn't always better.My only complaint with the size of the iPhone 4, is the screen. Getting a tad harder to txt. sometimes when I want to type a 'n' or 'v' or any letter above the space bar, I accidentally tap the space bar. But that is for another post.

11. FWW macrumors regular

FWW

I am in the complete opposite school...

I think it looks worse but feels better. It fills my hand better, the edges give me better tactile feedback that the slick, rounded edges of the 3G(S). I love the way it feels, its dense, smooth, perfectly sized.

12. iPadztr macrumors 6502

i agree... i love the first gen quality build and design. That's why i'm looking for the 4gig first gen iphone in good condition for my backup phone... The new i4 looks stunning, but not comfortable to use.

13. johndoe588 macrumors regular

Seeing the pictures, I thought okay, it's a little different, we'll see. First time I held one I thought, what were they thinking? No comparison, to me the 3GS feels much, much better in the hand. Ergonomics? What ergonomics?

IMOHO.

John B.

14. H. Flower macrumors 6502

cosign

15. kurtrix macrumors newbie

Round vs Square

1. Everyone’s hands are different. Women have smaller hands, in general. Also some people, have sweatier hands; even in winter. So, some owners may agree and others have different experiences.
    2. I think the first Gen iPhones were more comfortable in the hand, but bare naked, they were slippery as greased eels. I put a silicon cover on my 3G to avoid dropping it. When I took it off to replace the cover, there were numerous scratches on the silver edging.
    3. At first, I thought the iP4 was too squared off and not as comfortable in the hand. However, I like the edges, since they let you know it's in your hands. It seems less likely to be dropped on the floor.
    4. I personally love the metal banding, look. I don't want to cover it, but for now I want to avoid reception issues.

16. fizzwinkus macrumors 6502a

in my expert infallible opinion, the iphone 4 is the epitome of ergonomics.

ok but seriously, i like the iphone 4's shape better. and it's much easier for my gf to hold (small hands)

17. bassjunky macrumors regular

It sits great it my hand, but, of course, I'm alien.

18. OC513 macrumors 6502

I got a bumper yesterday and it makes a world of difference......makes it so much more comfortable to hold..........not to mention signal issue completely gone now.

19. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Hmm. It's my favorite so far.

The front and back being identical is really, really pleasing to me.