iPhone 4 erratic touch screen behavior

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JasonBare, Apr 2, 2012.

1. JasonBare macrumors member

JasonBare

Hi all,

I hope someone can help?

I've got an iPhone 4, and I've had no problems with it until recently.

Basically when I try to send a text (or anything that involves the keypad) it starts randomly selecting keys for me. This can also happen at times even if I just hover my finger over the keypad and not even touch it. It can also be a pain selecting apps. I can press one app and it will select the next one to it. Very frustrating.

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced anything like this?

I have reset it, restored it (as a new iPhone), etc.

It hasn't been jailbroken, dropped or anything you should do with it. So it's becoming growingly frustrating. Sending texts takes me forever.

Thanking all in advance.

2. otosan macrumors newbie

Have u ever charged your phone using mobile charger or car charger? or 3rd party charger?

in some case, this kind of charger can messed up the electrical stability on the phone that affecting the capacitive touch...

i suggest bring ur phone to apple, since seems like hardware issue, as restoring not helping it

3. greenchiliman macrumors 6502

Do you have a screen protector on it? Maybe oil build up or something on that.

4. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Make sure your screen is clean, grime and buildup on the screen can cause this kind of behavior.

5. dstedman macrumors member

Mine gets like that, but only when hooked up to a third party charger (cheap one). Not plugged in it always works fine...

6. mastahype macrumors newbie

This is EXACTLY what happened to my most recent iPhone 4 the past couple months (about 2 months after I got it). It is an unused factory replacement (no other person ever used it) for my first iPhone 4. Neither Factory restore nor a NEW LCD remedy this problem, which is what has led me to believe this was either a problem with the RAM/CPU/motherboard or power (perhaps too much power output). What I have done is replaced the battery and so far the problem has gone away. Coincidentally, I started searching for whether the battery could affect the capacitive touch screen and then I found this post. I hadn't realized third party chargers could do that and I know I've used cheap non-apple approved chargers. My suggestion is to change the battery and see what happens. Otherwise, it's likely a damaged motherboard component.