iPhone 4 -- exisiting ringtones problem

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Nikki in IL, Aug 16, 2010.

1. Nikki in IL macrumors newbie

I just upgraded to an iPhone 4 from a 3G. I synced with iTunes and ran into a problem. None of my existing ringtones would sync, each giving me a message that, "The ringtone "NAME" could not be used because the original file could not be found. Would you like to locate it?" I then have the option to "locate" or "cancel".

I tried the "locate" option with no success. I can find where the ringtone files is, and select it, but then when I try to re-sync, I get the same thing all over again.

The few ringtones I have are ringtones I've created, making clips of songs I had already imported into iTunes from CD (not purchased from iTunes store). They always synced fine with my 3G, and I've not made any changes to iTunes that would have resulted in a message such as "original file could not be found." They're all right there in the iTunes ringtone library, with the appropriate .m4r extension.

Thoughts?

Thanks.
    Nikki in IL

2. nippyjun macrumors 65816

When you are itunes do you see your ringtones under "ringtones" if not. You may need to re-import them into itunes.

3. Nikki in IL thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I can see all the ringtones in the "ringtones" part of iTunes. That's why I'm confused.

4. b-rad g macrumors 6502a

b-rad g

Make sure "Sync All Ringtones" is selected in the ringtones pane. I know its simple but some forget (my brother).