iPhone 4 "exploded" in a Norway winter!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mrelwood, Jan 10, 2011.

1. mrelwood macrumors regular

This was surprising news to me. The rear glass of a person's iPhone 4 "exploded" while a person was driving to work. Outside temperature was normal wintery -12°C (10°F), but inside the car the temperature was 20°C (68°F).

The news in Norweigian:
    http://www.tv2underholdning.no/hjel...-i-bilen-taaler-ikke-minusgrader-3379889.html

Google translated:
    http://dy.fi/fxl

The major points are that Apple warrants the iPhone only to be used between 0°C and 35°C (32°F - 95°F), and will not replace or repair the phone. On the other hand, the Norwegian Consumer Council states that a phone should withstand normal usage in the country it is being sold in. I'm interested to see if Apple responds somehow. Perhaps the iPhone 5 will have warranty extended to colder temperatures?

More shattered glass in Europe:
    http://dy.fi/fx5
    http://dy.fi/fxo

2. Lukeyy19 macrumors 6502a

Lukeyy19

so basically she dropped it, and then made up this story to try and get a new one?

3. mrelwood thread starter macrumors regular

Not sure about that. The major issue here is that the iPhone 4 can't be used in most parts of the world during winter time without voiding warranty.

4. jas1973 macrumors 6502

Could be due to a sudden extreme temperature change? Put a glass in a freezer then run it under warm water and it might shattter on you

5. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

If the temperature inside the car was within specs (0 < 20 < 35), what does this have to do with winter?

6. TheyCallMeSaint macrumors regular

I think if it was outside in 10 degree weather and suddenly brought into the 68 degree environment, it could damage the glass.

7. Lukeyy19 macrumors 6502a

Lukeyy19

my point exactly, maybe if this was left outside in the 12 degrees weather for an hour and then placed into 40+ degree heat, i can understand it shattering, but it was, just sitting in a car at normal room temperature, i smell BS.

and well don't they have a sale of goods act in Norway? in the UK all goods purchased must live up to normal usage for at least 6 years not including normal wear and tear.

8. applebook macrumors 6502a

applebook

In other news, a Droid woke up in Russia, became sentient, and blew up a nuclear plant.

9. mrelwood thread starter macrumors regular

I'm pretty sure they do, which is why Apple's response is a bit disturbing. It will only take a lot more time and effort from the end user to get the action she deserves. I guess Apple (among other companies) are hoping that the user will give up before she gets the phone replaced.

10. getsitguy macrumors newbie

I live in MN where as you all know it is fairly common to have temps in the single digits. I own an iphone 4 and go from the cold outside to warm inside many times a day. My phone glass has not exploded. However I could see this happening if the glass was damaged (cracked, chipped) prior to temperature change. It happens with cracked/chipped windshields here all the time.

11. BHP41 macrumors 6502a

BHP41

what temp does the iphone run at ?? it would have to be off, left outside in that weather for a few hours then brought back into a warm climate. This is a BS story from someone that dropped their phone. Even if the above situation happened the temp change would have to be sudden for anything remotely like this to happen.

12. iAd4m macrumors member

Exploding iphone 4.
    I can see this one on Mythbusters. We should email them the article

13. SL4VE macrumors 6502

my bro in law uses a 2G in Pakistan because the iP4 just melts inside out in the summer heat of 50-55 degrees... i took a 3G out there and it didnt feel too cool tbh