Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

caroline61490

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2011
I have an iPhone 4 iOS 5 (jailbroken through redsn0w) that has admittedly had a bit of water damage. I left it in rice for about 72 hours and everything seems to work fine except the external speakers are not working for music, calls, apps, etc. but on reboot the external speaker worked just fine. And when I go into settings I can change volume level and listen to ringtones, etc and everything sounds just fine, but only in the sound settings (otherwise sound continues not to come out of the speaker). I also tried speakerphone and the external speaker worked just fine then too. Also, if I try to control the sound with the buttons, nothing happens and the icon underneath the speaker to let you know what the volume level is has disappeared entirely. I know that the speakers obviously still work, just not for everything. I've rebooted twice and it still won't work. Any ideas/help?

scottjua

macrumors member
May 23, 2011
Restore as new device and hope that fixes it. Generally though, liquid damage will be the cause of funky things like this. Be prepared to pay for a replacement just in case.

iqwertyi

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2007
Hopefully you will read this before it gets too late (more damage).

This happened to my friend's phone.
This is how I fixed it.

Grab a paper towel and roll up the tip so you can fit it in the 3.5 mm headphone jack.
You basically got water in there and it's shorting the connection.
Once that dries up (hopefully before any other damages), your speaker will work again.

Good Luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.