iPhone 4 extremely slow with youtube and other streaming videos!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Helmigurt, Sep 27, 2010.

1. Helmigurt macrumors member

Hi guys!

I love my iPhone 4 as much as the next guy and I loved all my previous iterations (It´s my fourth iPhone after 2g, 3g and 3gs) but there is a problem that bothers me: Youtube (and other streaming vids) are often extremely slow to load regardless of wifi or 3g speeds. In fact the same vid loads in seconds on my imac whereas it buffers so slow on the iphone it´s nearly impossible to watch (Same fast n-wifi with time capsule)

Does anybody has the same problem or a solution?

Thanks!

2. SkillsToShow macrumors regular

I also noticed this on my iPod Touch 4G. It takes a longer time to buffer the video than my 2G. Could it have something to do with switching over to Wireless N.

3. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

I think the iPhone 4 and iPod touch 4 are both pulling HD videos from YouTube (given their screen resolutions). Could be why they take longer, and I agree, it is somewhat of a pain.

4. jeremyisweary macrumors member

jeremyisweary

I have a pretty fast internet connection, and it's horribly slow most times. However every now and then, it loads fast. I'm glad I'm not the only person that noticed this as well.

5. shmeaty macrumors member

guys, youtubes ability to stream straight sux if you havent noticed. its not just our end, its youtubes end. maybe one day we will be able to stream their HD junk in a reasonable amount of time on any device we please.

6. The Phazer macrumors 68030

I've noticed it, but to be honest I've had massive issues streaming stuff from YouTube on any platform recently. I wonder if they're having CDN issues.

Phazer

7. LouieSamman macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

It's all in the app.

I've notice when using the Youtube app on my Iphone

& the Youtube Mobile site

that YouTube Mobile site videos loads much faster!

It's the Youtube app that needs updating to support better streaming/loading.

I believe 4.2 update, that is made for the iPad, is as well getting the iPhone users some features for the Youtube App such as thumbs up and down instead of stars.

So I know that the 4.2 update has an update for the YouTube app

Maybe the loading would be faster in this update.

8. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

Yeah, I get the same problem. Sometimes it works great and loads very fast, but other times it seems frozen. I also get this problem with netflix and hulu, both on wifi and 3G, never had that problem with my 3G though.

9. Helmigurt thread starter macrumors member

Additional info: I had the same problem on my 3gs as well (which is now used by my girl), so it´s not iphone 4 only. Maybe it started becoming really slow with iOS 4 though I don´t know anymore to be sure.

10. BUFFBOY macrumors regular

yeh im looking forward to 4.2 update

11. AlexisV macrumors 68000

AlexisV

Yes, don't use the inbuilt app. Use the new mobile site and bookmark it so it appears on your home screen.

12. CheesePuff macrumors 6502

I have the same issue. If you turn off WiFi and are only on 3G does it seem to be faster? While using YouTube on WiFi it seems to take a while to buffer and skips but on 3G its almost instant.

13. Helmigurt thread starter macrumors member

It´s faster on 3g, but the quality is much worse, so i don´t know if that´s an indication.

14. CheesePuff macrumors 6502

Until 4.1, even Pandora and other streaming appa on WiFi were very slow to start and switch between streaming, but when on 3G it was nearly instant. I submitted it as a bug to Apple and it seems to be much improved on 4.1 but still a lot worse then 3G.

15. dave420 macrumors 65816

I've noticed that recently myself. I can't seem to stream YouTube anywhere recently. I wouldn't blame the iPhone.