iPhone 4 - FaceTime question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Yakuza, Jun 15, 2010.

1. Yakuza macrumors 6502a

Yakuza

Heya guys

So i've finally seen the WWDC 2010 yesterday, and let me say that SJ had some clever jokes up in is sleeve..."stop me if you already seen this..." too good :D:D i just LMAO, and the wi-fi thing LOL is the man!!

But, about my question. If i understood right, the video calling on the iPhone4 aka FaceTime, it only works iPhone4 to iPhone4 AND ONLY via Wifi??

What about with other phones with video calling capability? and how about video calling via network carrier?

My Vodafone plan here is FREE SMS, MMS, Instant Messaging and Video Calls...so it would be nice to able to use the network carrier to make those.

Anyone here as any ideas about this?

Thanks

:apple:

2. cmwall macrumors regular

It's strictly over WiFi, iPhone 4 to iPhone 4.

3. Ramphex macrumors 6502

Ramphex

Penile Time will be iPhone 4 to iPhone 4 only via WiFi. I'm sure there will be 3rd party apps in the appstore to have video chat with other carriers and phones

4. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

You missed the best one of all that was edited out of keynote video where Steve goes back to the demo, still can't get it to connect so he says, "Scott, any ideas?", and an audience member yells out, "Try Verizon!".

5. Yakuza thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yakuza

Again with the restriction thing (the story of NOT sharing files over BT)

I hope you're right, what good is having a camera for making video calls if you can't even use the network carrier for that!

LOLOL, no i did not seen it. where can i find the full version? it would be sweet to have some laughs :D

I know what is going to be my birthday present, I will offer myself :D ahahah

6. skyehill macrumors 6502

Umm, Steve came across as a petulant little baby. His jokes were obvious, his whining about people using Wifi got tired after the 100th time he mentioned it. But on to Facetime: Yes, it's as awful as you think it is. Wifi Only. iPhone to iPhone only. All of which makes their stupid videos all the more hilarious. THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING! Pssst, you guys already have this product - its called iChat!

7. Yakuza thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yakuza

It did, indeed. But Knowing the perfectionist that SJ is, it's understandable that way he reacted, imo. lol

Anyway, i will definitively get this iPhone. i only hope that by then we all be able to make video calls to anyone

8. Oddgeirf macrumors newbie

Does anybody know if you have to use the gsm-net to make a facetime-call? I know it only works with wifi, but if it uses gsm at all. F.eks if you have a friend in another country it would be great to use it, but if it uses gsm to make the call in the first place, it wouldn´t be cheap.

9. lnferno macrumors 6502

It's iPhone 4 to iPhone 4 FOR NOW. As SJ mentioned at the WWDC, they are working on making it an open source protocol that other providers can eventually take advantage of.

10. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

I am sure facetime hacks will allow it over 3G very soon after release as 4.0 is already jailbroken...

Gotta love the hack community... Well, at least I do.

11. Yakuza thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yakuza

The thing i just can't get, it's why all this mess about video calling, first only wifi and then by the network carrier, if we already got mobile phones that make video call via network carrier for some years now.

Are you going to tell me that AT&T can't support that?

12. Oddgeirf macrumors newbie

i wondered if anybody knows if it costs money if i try to call someone with iphone 4 in another country? If i live in norway and want to call someone in canada f.eks. Does it use the gsm net to connect the call to the other iphone and after that use the wifi. Or does it use the wifi to connect. It would be free calling if that was the case :D
    If you understand the question :)