iPhone 4: Failed calls with 3G service

funkydita

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2009
I'm having an issue tonight where I can't make or receive any calls (at home at least) with 3G enabled. The phone either displays 3G and shows a few bars (yes, I've updated to 4.0.1) or the dreaded "searching". Once I turn 3G off I can connect. Previously the phone would seemingly seamlessly switch between GRPS / Edge and 3G depending on what was available but not any longer. I'm on O2 in the UK.

I've reset network settings and done a hard reset to no avail. Any suggestions?

mgamber

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2008
I'm having an issue tonight where I can't make or receive any calls (at home at least) with 3G enabled. The phone either displays 3G and shows a few bars (yes, I've updated to 4.0.1) or the dreaded "searching". Once I turn 3G off I can connect. Previously the phone would seemingly seamlessly switch between GRPS / Edge and 3G depending on what was available but not any longer. I'm on O2 in the UK.

I've reset network settings and done a hard reset to no avail. Any suggestions?
Call O2 and ask if they have any issues in your area? Sounds to me like they're working on something.

OasisNYK

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2004
While overall I am happy with the phone - I am experiencing similar problems in Virginia. I used to get full edge and 3G service at my house now I get no edge and my 3G keeps dropping. I am a little concerned.

It doesn't happen everywhere but I did not have these issues with my 3G.

funkydita

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2009
I'll call 02 tomorrow if the problem persists, they're closed now. It's odd though, 3G enabled = searching, 3G off = full Edge. If they were working on something shouldn't it automatically go to Edge (or GPRS) if it can't connect to 3G?

mgamber

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2008
I'll call 02 tomorrow if the problem persists, they're closed now. It's odd though, 3G enabled = searching, 3G off = full Edge. If they were working on something shouldn't it automatically go to Edge (or GPRS) if it can't connect to 3G?
Depends on what they're working on or what the problem might be. Could be the 3G equipment works but isn't connected. If you can, try going some distance away so that you have to be on a different tower and see if the phone works then.

Iggy

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2003
Bournemouth, UK
I've got the same problem with my iPhone 4 on O2 in the UK. If 3G is ON then I can't make or receive ANY calls or texts, data seems to work ok though. As soon as I turn 3G to OFF then I will occasionally see the same symptoms, but not very often. Also, texts can take a few hours to arrive to the recipient. This has been happening all over the country for me, not just one spot. Quite annoying. Time to see a so-called Genius I think!

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
This problem has been reported before. It's usually a local maintenance thing - just certain parts of the network.