iPhone 4 farthest drop survival?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by randy98mtu, Feb 6, 2011.

1. randy98mtu macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

While I was getting ready this morning I saw my 2 year old playing with my iPhone. I was kind of keeping an eye on what she was doing and thought my wife was too. A few moments later I heard a strange "smack" sound and after a moment, realized what it was. My daughter has started taking blankets, stuffed animals, things she wants downstairs for the day and just throwing them over the railing. Yes, she threw my iPhone over the railing to the tile floor below. I saw it laying, screen up and saw no damage. When I went down and inspected the phone, there was ZERO damage. The bumper case was broken in one corner and another corner the rubber was cut. But the phone is flawless! I was amazed. I never expected the bumper to provide that much protection. Not sure what case I'm going to buy now, but this makes me think the bumper is still in the running!

2. apmorency macrumors regular

The bumpers are **** for protection. You got lucky with how it landed.

3. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

I hope this will teach you that 2-year-olds have ZERO business touching expensive electronics. You got real lucky.

4. randy98mtu thread starter macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

Take a look at apps for children. These devices are great learning tools for children. Obviously I will only let her play with them while I'm sitting with her from now on. But they most certainly do have business playing with expensive electronics. The iPad helps her unwind before bed every night. She knows how to open the iPod app, play music, then switch to the photos app and flip through pictures. She points at people and I tell her who it is.

And obviously any case protection depends on how the device lands, but I felt that this experience was pretty extreme and I was positive the back would be shattered after reading all the trashing the glass has taken on these forums.

5. Apple 26.2 macrumors 6502a

Apple 26.2

I disagree... I think the bumber provided exceptional protection in this case (whether that's what it was designed to do or not). But yes, the OP is lucky not to have a problem for a fall (throw?) from that height.

6. nednarm macrumors 6502

Yeah the bumper saved my phone, although it was only from a 4 foot drop.
    The bumper cracked at the bottom dock connector but hey, i'm glad it wasn't the glass.

7. dthmtlgod macrumors 6502

I agree with you, their are a ton of apps for children. My 1 year old grandson can unlock my phone and start YouTube, he goes to the favorites tab and he can watch all his Sesame Street videos. I also have Sesame Street videos and Toy Story movies on their for him. I do have a Otterbox Defender on the phone because he uses it a lot. Same goes for the iPad, another Defender.

8. saberahul macrumors 68040

The bumper is good subject to the phone falls on a flat surface. I know someone whose phone fell at the edge of a table and quite obviously shattered. I'll be getting the vroom case by case-mate... I think it should serve decent or superior protection.