iPhone 4 fast, but is it that fast? What about future updates?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mike84, Jun 24, 2010.

1. Mike84 macrumors 6502a

So, I remember when I got my new shiny iPhone 3G. It was snappy and fast. Unfortunately, I am not sure what happened in the 2 years time that I had it (well close to two years). It got slower and slower and slower. It seemed like with use it got slower and slower. I am not sure if it was the use. Perhaps it was the OS updates that started to slow down the system.

So, the iPhone 4 is snippy and fast now. However, do you guys think the same thing will happen to it that happened to the 3G? Some even argue that the 3Gs is slowing down after iOS4. What do future OS updates hold?

2. YoungLew macrumors regular

My 3GS doesn't feel slower with iOS4.

And i had a brief play with an iPhone4 earlier and during my short time with it didn't seem noticeably faster.....

Maybe it will get faster with time.

3. Mike84 thread starter macrumors 6502a

That is what I worry about, that it won't get faster with time but slower. As all of these phone manufacturers incorporate so much into the operating systems, they are going to take a lot of resources. Same principle applies to computers. I just worry that it will happen with this phone.

4. fuzion macrumors 6502

Generally this is how technology works

We buy hardware that is speedy and up to date, but within a year or two the software begins to exceed what the hardware can do in what we consider an efficient amount of time.

The best example are the first and second iPhones, with the slower processor and low memory they suffered the most from 3.0 and 4.0 upgrades.

With the GS and the 4 things are much faster (CPU,Memory Amount) and can probably tackle the next OS or two apple throws out, but they certainly aren't future-proof.

5. Mike84 thread starter macrumors 6502a