iPhone 4 faster over Edge than 3G

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JavierDiaz4, Jul 1, 2010.

1. JavierDiaz4 macrumors member

Hey guys, i've been having poor data bandwidth on my IPhone since I bought it last week. My wife has had the same issue. I decided to turn off 3G within the settings and leave hers on 3G to compare speeds on opening CNN.com. My phone manages to open CNN.com much much much quicker than before while her phone still has not loaded. I tried the reverse by leaving my phone on 3G and switching her to EDGE and which now slows me down while she opens up instantly. It seems there is something wrong with the 3G over the IPhone 4 on both of our handsets. I'll be calling Apple on this to see what we can do. I will post a video later as well when I get home.

2. gimano67 macrumors member

You could try downloading the speedtest.net app and compare upload and download speeds. goodluck!

3. JavierDiaz4 thread starter macrumors member

4. California King macrumors 65816

That was painful to watch, :(
    I just tried loading the main MacRumors forum page and it took just ~10 seconds with 2 bars on 3G

5. candyman macrumors regular

Does it do this repeatedly on 3G even if you try to stop and refresh? I think the speedtest.net is a god idea as well to compare. It seems like some element on the page was causing it to hang up on the 3G and perhaps when switched to Edge it just needed that refresh of the browser? Just a thought.

6. mrFinder macrumors member

it does this consistently, on my iPhone 4, and that of many others. even speedtest.net results are painful to see. it is a pretty widespread issue. i've been using my phone on EDGE and will continue to do so until this is resolved.