iPhone 4 Feels Warm

MacJones

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 14, 2010
Arizona
I'm sitting in an air conditioned building waiting for a concert to start and my iPhone feels very warm to the touch on the right side where the battery is. Is this a normal thing? I never experienced this with my 3GS.

blancoBronco

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2009
South Tampa
there are chemical reactions in the battery. batteries aren't 100% efficient. they waste some of the energy they produce as heat, which is what you felt

orange42

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2009
Mine seemed to get pretty warm often when I first got it as well. I haven't noticed that happen since then. (launch day)

Roofy.

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2009
My iPhone got warm after editing a video in iMovie for 45 minutes. Is this normal? (sarcasm)

Yes it's normal, does anyone not have common sense anymore? It's a super thin phone that's basically a computer. Of course it's going to get hot at times.

MacJones

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 14, 2010
Arizona
My iPhone got warm after editing a video in iMovie for 45 minutes. Is this normal? (sarcasm)

Yes it's normal, does anyone not have common sense anymore? It's a super thin phone that's basically a computer. Of course it's going to get hot at times.
Uh yeah, I have common sense but I don't expect my phone to heat up to where it feels uncomfortable and makes my hand sweat after browsing safari for 10 minutes. Good job being a smart ass over the internet, you're officially cool. :rolleyes:

splashnader

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2008
Via Satellite
The iPhone 3GS had plastic back. The new iPhone 4 has a glass back. The plastic backing will help dissipate heat a little better.

At least that is usually the case.

joe3681

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2010
My S got hot when I got busy on 3G. If I'm doing a bunch of **** on wifi my 4 will get warm.