iPhone 4 Field Test Mode

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BigOrangeSU, Jul 2, 2010.

1. BigOrangeSU macrumors regular

Isn't it convenient the major time it would be useful to see the field test mode...apple/att has disabled it. If we could see the field test mode and verify the signal strength in numbers then we could see if the reception issues are concurrent with apple's public letter. Does anyone know of any different ways to get into field test mode or is there an app that displays the signal strength in db?

2. fuzion macrumors 6502

I agree.. it would be nice to see just how much of a dB change there is.

3. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Rather than just hiding the field test mode or changing the code you use to access it, Apple has actually completely removed the Application from the phone (even on 3G/3GS models when updated to iOS4).

4. alaskanjackal macrumors newbie

Do you have a source for that?

I find it hard to believe it's been completely removed. There are thousands of technicians out there who require such a mode to do, well, field testing. It's also useful for repair technicians diagnosing problematic handsets.

Unless you have some insider knowledge or work in the industry, I hold out hope that the code has simply been changed and has not yet been leaked by a mobile technician in the loop.

One piece of evidence I have to support this is that I am still able to flip my signal strength indicator back and forth between bars and decibels, a permanent relic of activating field test mode (this ability has survived across two handset upgrades and numerous OS upgrades). Why would Apple even include the code to display the signal strength in dB if such a mode did not exist?

5. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

So you have gotten the iPhone 4 to show db's? Or you talking about an older device on an older iOS?

6. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Field Test was simply an App installed on the phone that was activated when you keyed in a certain combination.

People have examined the file system in iOS4 (on 3G/3GS and iPhone 4 devices) and the Field Test App is no longer there.

7. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

You could do it by restoring to an old jailbroken profile that has the dB turned to digits.

8. mrcadman macrumors newbie

Field Test was apparently (conveniently) removed from the file system with the update to ios4. Apparently, if you had a JB 3GS and had FT set to show numbers, it is possible to get it back?
    Reference: http://www.anandtech.com/show/3794/the-iphone-4-review/2

9. jkwireless macrumors newbie

Are there any apps in the app store that allow you to see signal strength as a number?

10. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

While it's possible to write such an app (TUAW/Engadget had one made up), it wouldn't be allowed on the App Store.

Someone with a developer subscription could make one and run it on their iPhone though.

11. alaskanjackal macrumors newbie

iPhone 4.

12. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Did you restore from a previous jailbroken backup? As that is the only way I know of getting the phone to display in db.

13. optophobia macrumors 6502a

optophobia

I thihnk they mentioned above that the restore from a previopus backup was the case.

14. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Another poster stated that, but not him. So I am wondering if he found a way to switch it to db's.

15. Cyclone Chris macrumors regular

I have the numerical readings on my iphone 4 (dbm). I restored from a JB device.

I can tell you that the dbm reading and the bars are all fubard. There is no way my IPhone4 should be showing 4 bars when there is a -113 dbm reading while at other times it shows 2 bars at -113dbm.

16. JoJoCal19 macrumors 65816

JoJoCal19

I too find it a little convenient they removed the ability to use field test mode.

17. mrcadman macrumors newbie

I submit this was very deliberate and stands as the most d*mning evidence of deception. It also precisely defines Steve and Apple both, and clearly shows exactly what they think people deserve.

18. mgamber macrumors 6502a

mgamber

I dunno about that. The antenna problem is a pretty "DUH" problem. I'd be surprised to learn Apple did it on purpose and left out some test app so people couldn't "prove" it had problems. Especially when are are lots of other ways to actually prove it has problems. To have designed a flawed antenna to sell cases (or whatever) could be negligence since I'm sure there are people who have used the iPhone to call 911. I've found actual reception to be better with the iPhone 4 than previous iPhones, they probably didn't see a point to the app. I could be totally wrong, too, but it would surprise me.

19. mrcadman macrumors newbie

I can't believe i just read that.
    Didn't say they did it to sell bumpers. That was distracting from the point too.
    I suppose they did it when they discovered (too late) the problem.

I say they deliberately removed it so the common owner couldn't see the drastic signal hit in real numbers, leaving them to rely on bars for a visual representation. Then of course, they already KNEW they had a easy slam about the bars, since they had fudged that themselves years ago.
    They haven't been "surprised" about anything at all.
    Note, Field Test had been an included app all along and it wasn't only disabled, it was flat out removed, which said......volumes.

20. draz macrumors 6502a

Someone should write a Field Test app for jail broken phones... unless there is one out there already

21. mgamber macrumors 6502a

mgamber

I dunno. This from a company that overlooked a glaring electronics flaw? That's like saying Bush was too stupid to give a speech yet masterminded 9/11 as justification to go to war with Iraq. And plenty of people believe that. Can't have it both ways. Believe what you want, no one really knows squat.

There is at least one, I saw it used to "prove" the antenna problem. Problem I have with it is if Apple's math is off, as they claim, the app is suspect also. There's no disputing what external test equipment shows, however. Those are the only results I'm the least bit interested in.

22. mrcadman macrumors newbie

The math for Dbm wasn't off, it was the math for calculating the bars based upon those Dbm.

No worries.