iPhone 4 - Fixing cracked screen

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Skytheria, Feb 14, 2011.

1. Skytheria, Feb 14, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2011

Skytheria macrumors newbie

Ive done a bit research and i need someone to confirm that my finds are true or not.

1) LCD is glued to the digitizer from fabric and cannot be separated.
    2) If one of these: digitizer, LCD, whatever on front are somehow broken or cracked in any way and you want to replace the part you will have to order a complete front set which looks like this
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Including, LCD and digitizer glued together.
    3) You cant buy or replace LCD or digitizer separately to replace the parts separately.

If 2 is true and 3 is true, can you buy the parts that is in the full front set separately and put them together to save money?

My digitizer is cracked and i need to replace it, cheapest way. :(

Theres bunch on ebay selling the parts separately, there must be some way to replace it separately?! Like replace digitizer without the LCD, if you know what i mean!
    Example:
    [​IMG]
    Would i need a bezel/frame too? :|

2. splntrft macrumors newbie

I just replaced my shattered iPhone 4 screen the other day.

1) Yes, the LCD and Glass digitizer are fused together.
    2)Yes you will have to replace both. The LCD is stuck pretty good on the glass. Mine was ruined when I opened it up.
    3)You can buy them separately and glue them together yourself but the quality and performance of the new screen won't be as great as the original.

I would suggest buying am OEM digitizer and LCD display already fused together. As for the bezel/frame part, I bought one that had it connected already and it saved me a lot of time and effort. I don't know how well it is connected to the original screen, but my old one was basically worthless.

I bought the assembly on eBay for $89...I know its kinda pricey, but it beats paying a repair shop $179 to do it!!

The new screen on my iPhone works beautifully, just as it did before.
    I hope this helps!

3. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Yes, the two are fused. You're probably better off buying the set already assembled. Without some sort of commercial-grade machinery, I don't think there will be a way for you glue the two together perfectly and still see through the glass.