Iphone 4 FM transmitter position question

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by xyphr3, Nov 19, 2010.

1. xyphr3 macrumors member

I am wanting to buy a iPhone 4 FM transmitter for my wife for Christmas this year. Her vehicle is a 2007 Suzuki Grand Vitara and the main antenna is at the rear of the vehicle. Does that matter if the FM transmitter is up front plugged in to the cigarette lighter? Will it make the signal weaker or have static build up? I figure in the radio unit itself, there is some signal pick up but I just wanted to ask someone here first. Thanks for your help.

2. jpetticrew macrumors 6502a

jpetticrew

In my experience with FM transmitters, which I'll admit is limited, the problems with reception grow exponentially with distance from the antenna. I would choose ANY other option, if her vehicle has a tape deck, a good old casette adapter will be way less of a hassle and sound better.

3. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

You have to experiment with the placement. I found I got really good placement placing it between the roof and the sun visor. Also, placing in the middle hump of my front dash also got good reception.
    However, I experimented with using my cassette deck and got much better clarity and more consistent sound. Dallas' radio waves are very crowded.

4. xyphr3 thread starter macrumors member

I appreciate the help. Unfortunately she does not have a tape deck. Unless anyone else has any information, I might just be going to the store and asking the sales associate their opinion, but who knows how honest the person would be.