iPhone 4 for $50??

KingJeglum

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 13, 2010
My girlfriend says this guy has a few iPhone 4's that he is selling for $50...so she calls me to see if I want one...well of course the first thing I think of is these are more than likely stolen but I can't get that verified so if I were to buy one or more is there a chance that these could either be tracked as stolen or something crazy with the GPS...? I want an iPhone 4 but not if it's stolen and I'd rather not risk getting into trouble when I can just get one from AT&T for $200 but just wanted to hear some thoughts...

mkelly2115

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2010
State College, PA
My girlfriend says this guy has a few iPhone 4's that he is selling for $50...so she calls me to see if I want one...well of course the first thing I think of is these are more than likely stolen but I can't get that verified so if I were to buy one or more is there a chance that these could either be tracked as stolen or something crazy with the GPS...? I want an iPhone 4 but not if it's stolen and I'd rather not risk getting into trouble when I can just get one from AT&T for $200 but just wanted to hear some thoughts...
Ask for the serial number... Run it though applecare.. To me sounds too good to be true!

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
They can be traced as stolen, but not with GPS. If the phones were stolen (for example, from an Apple/ATT store), Apple has a record of those serial numbers and IMEI numbers and as soon as you try to activate the phone it will be flagged.

benflick

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio
Something is definitely wrong. Either they are: Dummy phones, Chinese knock-offs, or stolen. I would bet against stolen, because even a thief would want more than $50 for something that they could easily get $500 plus for.

Irish Rose

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

If something sounds to good to be true, it usually is. I would NOT go for this…

IronLogik

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2009
They can be traced as stolen, but not with GPS. If the phones were stolen (for example, from an Apple/ATT store), Apple has a record of those serial numbers and IMEI numbers and as soon as you try to activate the phone it will be flagged.
This.

Ask for a serial number and call Apple/ATT up. See if it's clear. If it is, go for it. But make sure the serial number matches what they gave you to check for. Odds are they won't give you a valid serial number though.

Stoj

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2010
Chicago
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

On what planet would this deal be legit?

stackshady

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2010
Las Vegas, USA
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that nothing can be done on phones reported as stolen. I've seen a few reports on the AT&T and Apple forums complaining about this. It basically would be too costly and there is no way to prove that the person may have sold it to you.

But I don't think it's stolen. A $50 iPhone 4...I'm guessing there is another catch.

Robby C

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
Atlanta
Stay away.

$50 for an iPhone 4 is impossible.
What gosabres1984 said. $50 for a fully functional iPhone 4 is impossible.

To me sounds too good to be true!
It is.

Yes. Not to mention if it is stolen that the OP will be in possession of stole property which is also a felony (if I'm not mistaken.)

If something sounds to good to be true, it usually is. I would NOT go for this…
Again, listen to Irish Rose.

ucfgrad93

macrumors P6
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Something is definitely wrong. Either they are: Dummy phones, Chinese knock-offs, or stolen. I would bet against stolen, because even a thief would want more than $50 for something that they could easily get $500 plus for.
Agreed, there is no way that this is legitimate. Stay away from this OP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.