iPhone 4 for $99, 4S for $199, or wait...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rsted222, Oct 18, 2011.

1. rsted222 macrumors regular

I currently have the 3GS and through with my contract. What to do and what say you?

2. roccobladr macrumors 6502

I was in the same boat as you but I made the jump to the 4S. You are stuck in contract for the next 2 years so might as well have the most up to date product.

That is..if you do upgrade...I updated my 3GS to ios5 the day before I got my 4S and was blown away by how much better it was. I honestly may have opted against the 4S if I knew how much better it would run.

3. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

Please! When you ask this kind of question give some background into your question. I can not give you a detailed resigning if you don't help me out!
    How much storage do you need? an iPhone 4 will only have 8gb.
    Do you need a full hd camera ?
    or is 720p sufficient?
    Do you want a voice assistant?
    or is basic: Call so and so sufficient?

4. deeddawg macrumors 604

Really depends on your needs and how long you'll keep the device before upgrading again. I'd think 8GB would be too little storage for a lot of people, which is the $99 iphone4

On AT&T, the leftover 16GB and 32GB iphone 4's are $50 less than the comparable 4S models. For $50 difference I can't see not going with the 4S.

5. bad03xtreme macrumors 6502a

bad03xtreme

I am in a similar situation, though I have never had a smartphone period. After all the advice I have gotten I am going to go with a 16GB 4S. The extra $100 over 24/mo is only $4.17 per month extra.

6. pastelsoda macrumors member

7. bad03xtreme macrumors 6502a

bad03xtreme

8. pastelsoda macrumors member

or the 32gb for 149 lol

9. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

If you're going to get yourself into another contract I suggest the A5 chip instead of the A4.

Quite simply, you will probably see apps that require the A5 before your contract expires.

You still have 2 choices here: Get the 4S or wait for the 5 next year. Both are suitable choices.

But I would not suggest you buy the i4 if you already have a working 3GS.

10. ckorhonen macrumors regular

ckorhonen

I really don't get why anyone would get the $99 iPhone 4 over a $199 iPhone 4S.

Remember, over the lifetime of the AT&T contract the $100 difference in up-front price is negligible, you are still committing to ~$2k over 2 years in contract fees.

If you cannot afford the difference up front, I'd also question whether you could afford a smartphone in general.

Going for the iPhone 4 over the 4S does not put you in any better position in 12 months time when you'll want an upgrade to the iPhone 5.

Rather than buy a year old phone, it seems totally worth it to pony up the extra and go for the 4S.

11. bad03xtreme macrumors 6502a

bad03xtreme

That's what I said?? :confused:

12. icchy macrumors newbie

Just do it! get the 4S you won't regret it. waiting 8months for a possible 5 is ridiculous. There's always going to be another release around the corner, iphone5, iphone6, iphone58... You can never keep up, so why wait

13. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

Get the 4s. The benefit of having the iPhone is their resell value. When the iPhone 5 comes out you'll be able to sell the 4s on ebay and buy the iPhone 5 for the early upgrade price and you'll probably pay less than the full upgrade price.

14. bad03xtreme macrumors 6502a

bad03xtreme

Here is my dilemma, I can't decide on better camera/Siri or double memory...

[​IMG]

15. jgalan14 macrumors 6502

I would go for the 4s is another two years man

16. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

If you're signing a 2 year contract, there's no reason to go with last years technology. Definitely a 4S.

17. rsted222 thread starter macrumors regular

Great input guys...thanks

You've got me thinking 4S.

18. Savor Suspended

Savor

4S

What sucks is you are in an odd-numbered year to upgrade. This is the "s" cycle. I expect the redesigns and the greater leap to happen next year. Like I said before, Steve Jobs probably did work on the next iPhone alot more and this year was just a spec bump. It takes at least a minimum of two years to plan it out for the bigger projects. I bet when the 3GS was announced in June of 2009, the iPhone 4 was already halfway in development.

But coming from a happy 4 owner, I say always go for the better specs. Yes, these iPhones will all be part of the discount bin next year and a year after that, and Apple will either milk you with storage space or iCloud. Apple tax. But always go for the higher spec phone. iOS5 works great on the iPhone 4, but wait for the next update. Just like when iPhone 2G got to 3.0 and iPhone 3G got to 4.0. It got really bad.

Go for the 4S when it still has value. Then if you can sell if off next year, you get more than say if you got a 4 with just 8 GB. I would be telling you to wait if the next keynote comes around. But at this early stage, 4S still has time. And time = value with these phones before they all become obsolete and be part of the discount bin.

19. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

4s. You won't regret the $100. Siri and Voice Dictation are amazing. I've been sending emails with my phone all night just because its so accurate and easy.