iPhone 4 for iPad 1?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tbobmccoy, Mar 24, 2011.

1. tbobmccoy macrumors 6502a

tbobmccoy

So I've been itching for an iPad for a while. I know someone that's willing to trade me an iPad 16gb wifi+3G for my iPhone 4 32gb, relegating me to my old RAZR until I get a new iPhone.. I'm wondering 1. If it's a decent trade and 2. What the AT&T position on upgrading iPhones will be in June... My contract says it'll be eligible for further discounts in June (1 year after I bought my launch iPhone 4)... So whatcha think I should do?

Thanks for the advice!

2. Thedeathbear macrumors 6502a

Don't settle for an iPad 1. Go for the iPad 2.

3. tigert07 macrumors regular

honestly, I would not do that. any way to purchase an iPad 2 and skip this generation iPhone? The iPhone 4 has more than enough power to last another generation. The speed bump will be noticeable, but not a game changer. It really depends what you're looking at the iPhone 5 for. I would purchase an iPad 2, or even a cheap iPad 1. Check out VZW for the $300 wi-fi version. If it's a bigger screen you want purchase the iPad. It makes an excellent companion to an iPhone 4.

4. transam7816 macrumors regular

Sell your iPhone 4 on eBay. Use that money for an iPad 2

5. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

You should just wait till you get the new iPhone and then make the trade.

6. BigBeast macrumors 6502a

I'd do it!

It's a decent trade- especially with 3G. It's definitely a hassle seeling it on eBay to someone- trying to get a decent price-paying fees to eBay... You know you'll be getting the iPhone 5 in a little bit anyway... I'd do it.

7. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

So trade an iPhone 5 for a iPad 1? :confused:

8. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

Actually no... don't trade for an iPad 1. I thought it was the iPad 2. Completely mis-read. An iPad 1 is worth about $300. You could easily get $550 from your iPhone 4.

I would sell off your iPhone 4 when you get your iPhone 5 and then do what you wish with the money.

9. Shenaniganz08 macrumors 6502

no

if you're considering this trade i suspect

a) why did you even buy the iphone, sounds like you don't use it that much

b) how old are you, you sound like a high school-early college kid for some reason

10. DDustiNN macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

No, that's an absurd trade. The iPad 1 is now only worth around $400 or so, and your iPhone 4 is worth at least $600.

Just ask yourself... what do you actually want the iPad for? I had my iPad before my iPhone, but ever since getting the iPhone, I hardly ever use the iPad. The iPhone does pretty much all of the same stuff... the iPad just has a bigger screen. Honestly that's about it.

The only thing I use my iPad for anymore is note-taking in class, and maybe the occasional web browsing. If I were to to choose between the two, I would keep the iPhone 4 without question.