iPhone 4 fresh install / restore question

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by peterdallan, Jun 28, 2010.

1. peterdallan macrumors newbie

Hi

When I connected to iTunes for the first time I chose fresh install over restore, however I would like to retain my old text messages and phone favourites etc so to do this do I need to restore from my last backup on my 3g?

Am I losing anything by doing this, or will it all be compatible save for some app updating to iOS4 compatible apps? I have some photos in Picture View which I would like back and when I had to do a restore in the past for a broken 3g it returned the photos fine. I don't mind syncing apps back again etc, and my mail, contacts etc are via mobile me.

thanks

Peter

2. Satori macrumors 6502a

Satori

Restore from backup will work just fine, you won't lose anything and it will restore your data to the newest version of iOS apps.

3. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

I would recommend restoring from backup and then doing a "reset all settings."

That will keep your text messages and app data, but reset all non-essential settings that could potentially cause problems in the new OS.

4. peterdallan thread starter macrumors newbie

5. peterdallan thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok I cntl clicked my iPhone icon in iTunes to bring up the restore from backup menu and it gave me the following options.

Bear in mind I did a complete sync of my iPhone 3G before I attached my iPhone 4.

This came up

iPhone
    iPhone 4
    iPhone
    iPhone - 3 Apr 2010 12:44
    iPhone - 4 Apr 2010 15.45

Question: How on earth do I know which is the latest backup, or if either of the 2 solitary iPhone in the list are indeed the latest backups? The last 2 clearly have dates and times but the other 2 don't and the last backup/sync I did were late June.

If I attach my 3G again is a sync likely to bring up a backup to choose from that has the time and date?

I believe a restore from backup restores contacts and calendars amongst other things, how will this affect my .Mac contacts and calendars, could it potentially duplicate everything I have now when i come to restore?

I have also just noticed that when Cntl click on the iPhone icon in iTunes there is an option to sync and one to backup. I have only ever synced my phone, never backed up to my knowledge. Are they effectively the same thing?

Sorry for so many questions but I would like to restore stuff from my 3G without screwing things up like my contacts and calendars.

thanks

Peter