iPhone 4 from Europe in South Korea

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jakudo, Sep 19, 2010.

1. jakudo macrumors member

Hello all,

my friend (she's Korean) is now in Czech Republic for studying. She want to buy new iPhone 4 (it is not locked here) but she's not sure whether she will be able to use it back in Korea.
    Does the iPhone 4 from Europe fit Korean mobile network? Also is possible to get there some Korean microSIM card?
    When I was in Korea (2007/2008) I remember that they didn't use any SIM cards...

2. jbyun04, Sep 19, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2010

jbyun04 macrumors 6502a

jbyun04

They've got to use sims now since they have 3GS there. I don't see a problem if it's unlocked other than getting a micro-sim

3. dhl84 macrumors newbie

I'm Korean living in England, and have had an iPhone since the 3G, way back before they were released in Korea. I go back about once a year, and looked for a way to slip in a local PAYG sim card, but apparently the Korean carriers block IMEI numbers that aren't explicitly registered for use within the country. I think I read somewhere that it's possible to get your iPhone IMEI registered, but it costs upwards of 300,000 KRW, which negates any possible "benefit" of buying the iPhone 4 abroad.
    I might be wrong, so if you find any information to the contrary, please let me know, as I'm rather fed up of having to pay extortionate roaming charges on my iPhone every time I go back...

4. jakudo thread starter macrumors member

mm, I see. That's bad (IMEI). Actually I've read this information few minutes ago somewhere on the internet too, but it wasn't any official source.
    http://blog.jaycho.com/335
    Does this help to you? If yes, can you please explain shortly what is it about?
    Actually my friend wants to buy iPhone 4 here in Czech (920.000W) without any contract, officially unblocked, so other cell operators works there. It may not be the best price, however, without contract and without need to jailbreak it, it is great price. But if it is not possible to use it in Korea because of the IMEI it would be stupid to buy it here...

If I find any information about the IMEI I'll let you know.

5. brucele macrumors newbie

This is true. You are better off buying an iphone from a Korean cell carrier and using that one worldwide. Since korean cell carriers don't sell factory unlocked phones, you will have to jailbreak and unlock via software.

6. realeric macrumors 6502a

realeric

Korean cell carrier sells locked iPhone 4 but it can be unlocked officially if you request. It becomes a factory unlocked phone and can be used world wide. I envy them. :eek:

7. dshubair macrumors newbie

iPhone 4 from Europe Already in Korea

Thanks for all the replies on this topic. Unfortunately I did not do my homework before buying a factory unlocked iPhone 4 while in France for a conference; I live in South Korea. Upon coming back last week, I learned that I can get an IMEI number from the lone telecom company here, which will cost at least 200,000KRW. My question is this:

If I do go ahead and get this IMEI # in Korea, what will happen to my iPhone? Will it no longer be unlocked for use in other countries, or will doing so simply now allow me to use it in Korea?

Thanks and look forward to thoughts on this topic.

8. Cybbe macrumors 6502

As I understand it the IMEI block is on a network level (anything else wouldn't make sense), while the unlock is on your iPhone. I can't see how KT could lock your phone retroactively.