iPhone 4 fw: 4.3.5 bb: 04.10.01 - Gevey Sim options?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by toxicfume, Mar 2, 2012.

1. toxicfume, Mar 2, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2012

toxicfume macrumors newbie

So my friend just sold me his AT&T iPhone 4, but I only have T-Mobile so I guess the only option I have is to use Gevey Sim, but I have some questions...

- Is Gevey Sim Ultra the best choice for T-Mobile?

- Where is a reliable place I can buy Gevey SIM from?

- The iPhone has firmware 4.3.5 installed.. can I jailbreak it and preserve the baseband? (My baseband is 4.10.01) Should I even care about preserving the baseband? I'm only asking because I wonder if in the future an unlock might be released that only works with 4.10.01 and not newer ones.

- can I upgrade to the latest firmware 5.0.1 without upgrading or modifying the baseband? Do I have to do that "SHSH blob save" thing?

- Will I be able to activate the phone with Gevey Sim? I'm just afraid that once I do that iTunes will ask me to "Activate" it but I have no account with AT&T.

Can someone please enlighten me? I've already read many guides but those are some questions I haven't seen a definite answer for. I appreciate your help. :)

2. toxicfume thread starter macrumors newbie

3. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Gevey sim will work for baseband 4.10.xx

Google Applenberry

You can upgrade to 5.0.1 and preserve the baseband, use Redsn0w and go to iClarified.com for a tutorial that includes a No_BB IPSW

4. ninjaw95 macrumors 6502

^^^^ is right
    also if you decide to JB (not necessary w/ gevey) you should install Furious Mod for iOS 5.0.1, google how to get it.
    itll do the unlock process for you.

5. PhazeII macrumors member

if i was you I'd get just the regular Gevey.... not the ultra. The whole thing about installing furious mod and not having to dial 112 didn't work for me nor is working for lots of other people and if it does you sometimes have to repeat the process of rebooting your phone more than once. Oh and the ultra cost more I think.

Hope that helps

6. toxicfume thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply, guys. Well, the Gevey Ultra is like 20$ so that;s okay, I'll just got for it. I've already upgraded my phone to 5.0.1 via redsn0w and confirm that the baseband is still 04.10.01. :D Thanks!

Yes, in fact, their store is about 30 minutes away from me so I'll surely visit them and let them do it! :) Thanks!!

7. vincewchan macrumors newbie

Care to share on how you upgraded to 5.0.1 while preserving baseband? I'm on 4.3.3 (4.10.01 BB) right now with Gevey chip. (btw, the only reliable place to get the gevey chip is from Appleberry themselves; there are a TON of fakes out there).

I'm about to upgrade my iPhone4 to 5.0.1 this weekend following this guide,
    www.ijailbreak.com/how-to/preserve-iphone-ios-5-baseband/

Care to share on how you did it?

Thanks!

8. toxicfume thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep, that article was basically how I did it too. I think I followed this guide, http://iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=18932 which is basically the same. Good luck!

9. d0vr macrumors 6502a

I hope this is relevant enough to this discussion: I have a iPhone 4S locked to AT&T. If I purchase the Gevey Ultra S, will this gevey work forever, as long as I don't upgrade my baseband (custom IPSW, etc.), or is there a chance a future firmware upgrade would disable the hack?

Ideally I'll wait until the price lowers a bit, but would like to know for if I do buy it. That or I might look into cutmysim.com.

10. martiansoldier macrumors 6502

If you have $185.00 to throw at www.cutmysim.com, that will be your best option. Although I am not sure that they have successfully unlocked any AT&T iPhone 4s phones yet.

The Gevey method will work for as long as you maintain your preserved baseband.

11. gabrielbsb macrumors newbie

Does anyone know if Gevey will work on iOS 5.1 if I preserv my baseband? I'm on iOS 5.0.1 / BB 4.10

12. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

You always have to be careful about updates, even with bb preservation. You never know what new trick apple will come up with to disable unlocking. If you seriously aren't interested in waiting before updating, you should get a factory unlock. Save yourself the pain.

13. d0vr macrumors 6502a

Thanks for that info. I'd love to use cutmysim'com's service, but as you said, we are unsure on if they have unlocked any phones yet and it is not worth that price. I'm not convinced that even the gevey ultra s is worth the price considering the possibility it isn't a permanent solution, but it is the cheapest available solution at present.

It's an AT&T phone and I'm in Australia. What do you think the likelihood of Apple blocking a preserved baseband unlock is though?

If only AT&T would just implement international SIM unlocks like your other telcos.

14. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

When it comes to apple, I try not to guess what they'll do to block unofficial unlocks.
    My advice is this: if the unlock matters, don't risk it.

15. psejcf macrumors member

As long as you cautiously preserve the baseband during updates, it should be fine. The baseband is separate from the iOS operating system. So an iOS update which you apply with a preserved baseband will not harm any unlocks (this may be differ for software unlocks that require the phone to be jailbroken). All this is true for iOS 5.x and below. Before attempting to install any iOS updates, just wait for a week or two and read up on the web for issues and solutions.

Tough luck, but they've never shown any inclination to do that. Try writing to Tim Cook (at Apple) and ask him to help out people with older phones.