iPhone 4 Gen Disguise Case

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by FSMBP, May 14, 2010.

1. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Do you guys think its probable that companies are going to make iPhone 4 Gen disguise cases (to look like the 3GS) similiar to Gizmodo found one?

The reason I ask is that it would be a nice case. Because if i had a case, I would want it to look like an Apple designed one.

2. testcard macrumors 68030

testcard

Give Steve a call. He's probably got a drawer full of them. I'm sure he can spare one. ;)

3. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

I'd say maybe 1 or 2 companies might come up with something like that, but the majority will design cases that emphasize the new form factor. 'Cause after all, if people wanted iPhones that looked like the 3G/3GS, they'd buy those phones and not the new one. :)

4. FSMBP thread starter macrumors 68020

FSMBP

I much rather prefer new hardware but I don't like the ice-cream sandwich look of the new iPhone.

Plus, it would be nice to be able to pick if you want the "3G look" or the "4Gen look."

5. hefeglass macrumors 6502a

Not sure why anyone would WANT to make their 4g iPhone look like a fat 3GS...but im sure they'll be made.

I personally love the new look, way slimmer, professional looking, flat back ftw!

6. bigchief macrumors 6502a

The new iphone is suppose to have a glass front and a glass back. I'm thinking if you don't put it in a case there's a good chance of breaking it. Most people will put it in a case for protection sake. So what's the big deal?

7. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Case provides "minimal" protection...it's more less to improve grip, which reduces the phone being dropped, and subsequently provide benefit similar to protection.

8. hefeglass macrumors 6502a

I've never used a case for my iPhone...never broken the screen yet.

Why buy a slim phone just to put a bulky case around it?

The iPhones glass screen is incredibly durable, no need for those screen protectors..also, the phone stays in my pocket and I try not to be careless when using it. So far, no problems. (knock on wood)

The new iPhone will be easier to hold im betting...the square shape would point to that.

Also, the flat back is a huge bonus...don't want to lose that with a rounded case or something.

The material on the back of the phone may be much much stronger than glass...and even plastic. I bet the phone is as durable or more so than the current 3GS.

We shall see!

9. MadMacxxx macrumors 6502a

MadMacxxx

That's a pretty vague statement given the vast array of different cases on the market, don't you think? :rolleyes:A case like the Incipio feather isn't going to provide much protection, but a case like the Speck candy shell offers great protection.

10. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

Of course, because Apple engineers and industrial designers are idiots. Also, the back of the iPhone is ceramic not glass.

11. cellanime macrumors newbie

cases are not protective???

Depending on the kind of case used I'd say there are some that only look cool but offer not protection at all and there are some that dont look as cool but offer a lot of protection. The ones that are made of hard thin plastic may be somewhat protective but they lose their protection when the edge of the case is flush with the screen. You drop that bad boy screen flat on the ground from 3 feet high and your looking on ebay for a new screen. I have one of those ugly incipio cases that have a soft silicon sleeve and then a hard plastic cover that goes around it. Best case ever made. Since the silicon goes all around the phone and even covers the entire rim of the screen, even if you tried to drop it flat on the screen it'll never touch the ground. I've dropped my phone a thousand times and it doesnt have a single scratch yet.

So yes, intelligently made cases are protective.

12. texjer macrumors newbie

13. macpro2000 macrumors 6502a

As beautiful as the new phone is...the old style sure feels way better in the hand.

14. jpetticrew macrumors 6502a

jpetticrew

Ummm.... No? The back is glass.

15. 101AirAssault macrumors member

Of course you're arguing a post from before the iPhone 4 was released..... when it was speculated that the back was a ceramic.

16. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

No, that guy was right, minimal protection is accurate.

Put a mirror in a box and drop it, that's basically the equivalent of a case.

The bottom line is cases are way too thin and made of materials that don't absorb a lot of energy (like foam) to offer great protection.

17. PM Harold Saxon macrumors newbie

Theft sucks

Considering there is a massively long wait to get one (I have to wait another 2-3 weeks here in Melbourne, Australia for it to be delivered), someone is going to want to get one the 'easy' way... by stealing one from an unsuspecting iPhone 4 owner.

If the owner could disguise it as an iPhone 3G or 3GS, he or she can at least use it in public with the certainty it looks like a phone that is not the new one everyone wants and not worry about it being stolen (by someone desperate for an iPhone 4 that is).

18. ipadder macrumors regular