iPhone 4 gets very very hot- share your experience

ruk110

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 8, 2010
England
I have been using my iPhone 4 for about a month now. i have the 32GB black version and i have noticed if i am say for example using a game app, then after about ten minutes the metal band will get really hot. it will only happen to whichever side is facing up, so bottom of band will stay cool (heat rises?) is this normal? oh yeah happens on phone calls too, and surfing, and facetime and everything

share your experiences!

nooaah

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
I made a thread about this several years ago. The conclusion seemed to be that the glass conducts/retains heat more effectively than plastic but the phone isn't necessarily hotter.

itsmemuffins

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
I have been using my iPhone 4 for about a month now. i have the 32GB black version and i have noticed if i am say for example using a game app, then after about ten minutes the metal band will get really hot. it will only happen to whichever side is facing up, so bottom of band will stay cool (heat rises?) is this normal? oh yeah happens on phone calls too, and surfing, and facetime and everything

share your experiences!
My experience is, that the iP4 (and any smartphone for that matter) Gets warm but not alarmingly so.

drewc1138

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2007
My experience is, that the iP4 (and any smartphone for that matter) Gets warm but not alarmingly so.
I'm the same way. It gets a little warm, but not too bad.

Not as bad as the 3G (or maybe it was the first gen...I don't really remember). It would get to the point where it was VERY uncomfortable in my pocket, and I would have to restart the phone.

nishishei

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2005
I made a thread about this several years ago. The conclusion seemed to be that the glass conducts/retains heat more effectively than plastic but the phone isn't necessarily hotter.
Why the hell did Apple make the back glass?

They should just give up on the IP4, and give us a 3GS with Retina Display.

Harpy007

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2006
My iPhone is definitely warmer than my 3G. After 10 minutes of gaming the phone is really warm and it's a little uncomfortable in my pocket. I guess it's normal with such a small hardware.

mzd

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
the only time my iPhone 4 got bad was when it was charging via the included Apple USB power adapter while i was talking on the phone for a while. the cord and the power adapter got really hot, and the phone was hot too. i have since charged it with the power adapter without talking on the phone while charging and it has been fine.

ruk110

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 8, 2010
England
surely the phone getting as hot as it does cant be good for the hardware? especially the battery and screen

rans0m00

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2010
Mine gets hotter than any other phone I have had but only does so when I have it plugged in while streaming pandora and using trapster in my car. Otherwise not abnormally hot for any other smartphone I have had.

BlondeBuddhist

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2010
I think that the glass is whats showing the heat. I can't imagine the device is "getting" hotter, just showing it more.

Blonde Buddhist

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I think that's the reason why Apple made bumpers instead of cases. Once I put a case all over it, screen started to feel a bit slimy because of the heat. Now that it's off, I can actually feel the heat all over.

ruk110

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 8, 2010
England
I think that's the reason why Apple made bumpers instead of cases. Once I put a case all over it, screen started to feel a bit slimy because of the heat. Now that it's off, I can actually feel the heat all over.
... they would not have been able to make full cases due to touch screen though... ?

Irish Rose

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2010
The first one that I had got hot after I used it for a short period of time, however this one that I have now doesn't even get warm.

ruk110

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 8, 2010
England
i found out that if you have apps running in the background, the phone will be warmer to the touch

Chunkycat

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2010
Mine gets warm when it's charging. If I talk over the phone while it's charging it's even warmer. But nothing alarming or uncomfotable.

xraydoc

macrumors demi-god
Oct 9, 2005
Only time mine gets warm is when on a moderate to long phone call in a low-signal strength area or when using GPS apps for long periods of time. Gets warm charging, too, some times, but that doesn't count.

caligurl

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
socal
:confused:

but iphone 4 has only been less than 2 months :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.