iphone 4 getting no service almost daily

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by numlock, Jan 28, 2014.

1. numlock macrumors 68000

so my mom got my sisters old iphone 4 (on ios6) and everything works great except it gets a no service pretty much every day.

tried another sim card and its the same. a reboot will "fix" it until next time.

most of threads ive found mention dropped calls etc but nothing like that has happened here (perhaps she has just been lucky).

anyone have any idea on what the issue might be and how to fix it?

thanks in advance

2. ToyGun1 macrumors 6502

Had the same problem on my iphone 5s same thing need a reboot to fix too.
    (Only happen twice so far.)

3. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

4. numlock thread starter macrumors 68000

im not in the US but its a vodafone network

5. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

I am having issue with 2x 4's in T-mo in US.

I suspect it's an issue with local tower, as other locations have no problem.
    It may be T-mo is focusing on newer iphones and not the old 4 we have.

6. numlock, Feb 3, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2014

numlock thread starter macrumors 68000

she used to have a nokia 6230i and never any issue there. ive had iphones since 2007 and never this issue.

i will admit its not very scientific since i have no idea what causes this but having it in a incase snap case does not seem to help. could a bumper case be beneficial?

what puzzles me the most is that if there is something wrong with the phone itself it shouldnt get service right after a reboot. at least i think that makes logical sense.

7. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Try this:

Next time it looses connection, move to a different area and see if it re-connects.

Oh, BTW, you still have signal bars but no ability to call out?

8. ugcop macrumors 6502a

ugcop

Question should be, how well did the 4 perform when your sister used it?

Was she using it on the same network?

9. numlock thread starter macrumors 68000

you mean just drive away and see if it reconnects somewhere else? any idea how far it would need to be?

from what my mom says it does not show any signal bars and sometimes shows a message asking her to go to settings and networks. i will upload a screenshot next time.

it had some connection issues (though only in her home) but as my sister put it she almost forgot about them as they were so few and far between. certainly nothing like this. same network for just under 3 years.

since its on ios6 i wasnt really willing to put ios7 on it i erased and deleted everything in the settings and then set it up as a new one in itunes.

10. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

At least 3 miles away from the tower you think the phone is communicating with. 7 if you do not know where the tower is.

And you are smart not to do iOS 7. It is pushing the limits of what the 4 can manage.

11. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Nothing wrong with iOS 7 on an iPhone 4, that's what I use.

A DFU restore might solve the phones problems but it will install the latest iOS.

12. ugcop macrumors 6502a

ugcop

I have to agree with blue room. A 4 handles IOS 7 without a problem...with that said I wouldn't want to use it if was a data hog but for simple google and limited browsing plus phone use it works great. A fresh load of any IOS does wonders for a tired phone. :)

13. numlock, Feb 5, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2014

numlock thread starter macrumors 68000

i will try that

attached is a screenshot of the phone this morning. i wasnt there and have never seen this on the phone itself so i dont know if it works going into settings and choosing another network there.

as far as ios7. my mom both has the iphone 4 and ipad 3 both of which have mixed reviews as far as ios7 is concerned and i want to keep a consistent environment for her and if i had the option of upgrading and going back if it didnt work i would try it out. as it is now both ones got storage space stolen by ios7 download.

of course i would love to do a clean ios install but i would start with an ios6 one

Attached Files:

14. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

I did not get this message.

If you can, go to Apple store and see what they can diagnose too.

Apple is being a bully with iOS 7.