iPhone 4 gives me electric shocks when plugged in

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by moargolems, Oct 18, 2011.

1. moargolems macrumors regular

I think this has been discussed here before, but just a few minutes ago the shock was so fierce I dropped the phone out of my hand and I had to post about this.

Every time I plug in my phone to charge it, whether it's the wall or my computer, I can't use my phone without getting electrically shocked. Just a few moments ago I got a text message and I normally picked my phone up, but when I touched the steel frame it gave me a so strong buzz that I automatically had to drop the phone out of my hand. Also, when the phone (still plugged in) sat on my metallic computer case, the electricity was conducted to the case. I could feel a nice itch when I touched the case!

I've got shocks from it before, but they were so small it only caused little itches in my fingers. But this really scared the sheet out of me.

Is this normal? In my opinion the phone needs to be safe to use even if it's plugged in...

2. wrinkster22, Oct 18, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2011

wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

take that right back to apple. There is no excuse. If they refuse threaten to call your lawyer. I am dead serious. The iPod Nano did the same thing many years ago and there was a class action lawsuit.. perhaps I am jumping to conclusions....
    Is there any warranty?
    When my macbook air got really warm and actually damaged something I called apple and threw a complete ***** fit. Needless to say I got a new one.. Off topic much :eek:
    Call apple :)

"Sectime" kindley pointed out a few things:
    a) are you using an official apple charger? You can't complain if you are using a 2$ knockoff/
    b) Are your plugs grounded? do your outlets look like the top or the bottom one?
    http://www.google.ca/imgres?q=ameri...bnw=156&start=16&ndsp=15&ved=1t:429,r:10,s:16
    3) Is there area wet or is the air unusual (unusually dry, wet, etc.)

Do NOT accept a bumper.

Once again I aggro with Sectime. Try another plug. If you really want to make a point at the apple store bring rubber gloves :)

3. deeddawg macrumors 604

Let me be the first to say... "you're holding it wrong!" :D

Seriously though, take it back ASAP. That is not right.

4. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

5. moargolems thread starter macrumors regular

Too bad I already have one. Didn't fix it... :rolleyes: I seem to get shocks through the glass as well.

But yeah, I will call Apple. I actually first experienced this with my 3GS, but the shocks weren't really disturbing me.

6. sectime macrumors 6502a

Ya think:eek:
    Couple things are you using Apple wall charger? I have felt the tingle with aftermarket wall chargers. Are you talking about a static electric shock?
    is your computer grounded through the wall plug?

7. moargolems thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, Apple's own wall charger that came along with the 4. It's a constant flow of electricity. This time it was so strong I automatically dropped it.

8. sectime macrumors 6502a

If it were me, I would try it in another house or location to make sure that the issue is the phone. Take your charger to the Apple store plug it in an with gloves hand the phone to a Genius rep :rolleyes:

9. daftpunkstu macrumors member

maybe you have super powers? realistically though it could be something to do with your carpets in your houuse or the phone itself, try it elsewhere and if it still does it, definitely go back to apple with it

10. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

Take it to the Apple store and shock the hell out of an unsuspecting Genius ;)

11. 4:20 macrumors member

It's not a bug, it's a feature.

12. kajis macrumors newbie

Same problem

Hey,

I seem to be having the same problem. I'm charging my iPhone 4 through my macbook.

I've been getting mild shocks every time the phone is on charge, regardless of how it's charging or where. Also I seem to be getting pins and needles for ages every time I get a shock.

What should I do exactly?

13. jca24 macrumors 6502a

jca24

Not so sure I believe this is really happening. But just in case it is happening, and for the sake of your safety, I would recommend you beat the phone with a bmfh (big mother ******* hammer) so it can't shock you anymore.

14. DroidRules macrumors 65816

Yeah sorry try again.... glass doesn't conduct electricity.

15. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

I wonder if the OP got it fixed or is dead. I can almost hear Thomas Edison saying, "I told you so."

16. Jujubasu macrumors newbie

Cable

Was it an original cable? I've had this problem too, in fact more severe. It happened while I was talking on the phone and jolted me off my feet, the ear still feels funny 2 days later. It wasn't an original USB though. So I'm not complaining at the store yet.

17. sundog925 macrumors 6502a

reminds me of peter griffin:

kneel before christ!

18. takeshi74 macrumors 601

No matter where you are? Have you tried in multiple locations? If this only happens at home or any single location then you need to check your wiring. If it happens everywhere that's possibly something else.

19. serkan macrumors 6502

serkan

Hey ;

I have the same problem with my old 3G and after it go the service they said to me that my motherboard is losing energy and after they said to me my pone died in two weeks.You are lucky if you have an Apple Store . Go give them back without excuses.

Hope I helped.

20. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Bearing in mind that the output from an Apple iPhone charger is only 5v DC, there is no chance of getting a serious shock.

"Tingling" sensations from an appliance when connected to the mains supply is usually the result of either static electricity or an earth wiring fault in the supply circuit.

21. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

would have been hilarious if he was talking about the phone vibrating when it gets plugged in

22. moargolems thread starter macrumors regular

Problem solved: dropped my iPhone in a glass of water and bought a Samsung Galaxy S III.

And yeah, the issue was there no matter where I charged it.

23. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

so it happened because you dropped it in a glass of water?

24. John T macrumors 68020

John T

I don't suppose you've tried a different charger?

25. Jennibellz macrumors newbie

Electrocuted by Iphone 5

I had the SAME issue.. I've gotten shocks here and there when I plug in my iphone or even pick it up while charging (it's a brand new charger) I never thought much about it.. until.... I was on my APPLE computer and picked up my phone which was plugged in and got completely electrocuted!!! I mean, I screamed, dropped the phone, now my fingers and arms are tingling...especially fingers, almost painful. That was the most intense feeling and I am NOT happy. Side note.. Its not the charger b/c it happened w/ 2 different chargers!!!!!