Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

surfer13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2008
I have a quick question,I have used the search function but I cant exactly find what Im looking for.

My question is,I had a case on my iphone and somehow dirt got in between the case and built in screen shield and scratched the oleophobic coating on the glass. Is there any products out there that can buff these small scratches out? Just wondering. Thank you for your impute.

Jumpman2033

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2010
I would also like to know this. I really want to do away with a screen protector. If i know i can buff out the scratches then i will definitely go without one.

PlaneCrazy

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2010
North Carolina
Buffing out scratches on glass is difficult under normal glass conditions. With this glass, I really wouldn't even want to speculate.

That said, I did find out that Apple only recently started to sell replacement back glass panels for only $29. In a brief moment between switching my phone from one bumper to another I accidently dropped it about a foot onto tile. It got a nice end-to-end crack on the back glass. My local Apple Store ordered the part and will let me know when it gets in. The "Genius" originally didn't even know that they were doing this now, but while I was waiting for my appt. I had spoken with the manager and he had told me about it. So the "genius" looked it up and there it was.

Now, as far as we could see, it was only the back glass that had this option. So, if your scratches are on the front, I think your only options right now are full replacement or live with them, but I could be wrong.

Hopefully at some point they will sell both back and front glass replacement panels for such a reasonable price.

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
Houston, TX
Buffing out scratches on glass is difficult under normal glass conditions. With this glass, I really wouldn't even want to speculate.

That said, I did find out that Apple only recently started to sell replacement back glass panels for only $29. In a brief moment between switching my phone from one bumper to another I accidently dropped it about a foot onto tile. It got a nice end-to-end crack on the back glass. My local Apple Store ordered the part and will let me know when it gets in. The "Genius" originally didn't even know that they were doing this now, but while I was waiting for my appt. I had spoken with the manager and he had told me about it. So the "genius" looked it up and there it was.

Now, as far as we could see, it was only the back glass that had this option. So, if your scratches are on the front, I think your only options right now are full replacement or live with them, but I could be wrong.

Hopefully at some point they will sell both back and front glass replacement panels for such a reasonable price.

probably never for the front glass which includes the touch pannel and is very expensive

Pillar

macrumors 6502
May 25, 2010
CA.

Good to know. Thank you

PhelpsiPhan

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2009
New Jersey

Thanks for the info mate!

Jumpman2033

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2010
I wouldn't expect to be able to buy a front glass, simply hoping to be able to remove minor scratches. I guess i'll stick with my anti-glare protector.

surfer13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2008
Yea thanks for the info,I just wish the coating wasn't so darn easy to scratch.

jmmtn4aj

macrumors member
Feb 29, 2008
Singapore

Will they allow user-replacement of the back glass? Would be pretty sweet if they did since it's basically a go-ahead to replace it with third-party non-black options without voiding warranty

A4Mania

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2010
Canada
Apple will only replace back panel glass, not front.

Apparently, Apple will only replace the back panel for you if you are still within the 90 days limited warranty(and for a price). As for the front panel, since it is securely glued to the LCD & digitizer, it is currently too complicated for Apple to sort through atm. In any case, any replacement of the front panel(module) will cost in the range of US$100-$300. The only place that I know which might eventually carry the front panel replacement parts is 'ifixit.com' which also provide the guide to replacing it.

MotleyGrrl

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2010
Chicago, IL
I don't have any scratches on the front or back of my phone. I just use a bumper and the phone spends plenty of time in my purse w/keys, pens, wallet, etc. I don't know how people are scratching their phones!

jacollins

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
There are plenty of things to "buff" out scratches in glass. There's nothing to "buff" out scratches in an oleophopic coating.

When you're "buffing", you are actually wearing down the glass around the scratch to even it out. With an oleophobic coating, you've got an ultrathin coating on top of glass.

Any attempt to buff that will wear through the coating first, and you'll just screw up the coating around the scratch. Since the coating alters the reflectivity, etc. on the glass, instead of a small scratch, you've got a big bare spot that's even more visible.

There may be ways to put more oleophobic coating on the glass, but I imagine it's some heat treated method, and not viable for the regular population. It's probably cheaper/faster to get a replacement glass (depending on how bad the scratch is).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.