iPhone 4 GM 4.2 fails to install (win7 x64)

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by cirial, Nov 2, 2010.

1. cirial macrumors regular

Hey guys,

I installed the iTunes 10.1 beta 2 on Windows 7 x64, and all seemed well as it was updating until it got to the part where it wanted to update my iPhone 4's modem firmware, then it errors out everytime with Error 1013. Trying to install 4.1 final downloaded firectly from Apple gives me the same error.

I used RecBoot to get me out of DFU mode, and it seems like I still have the old 02.10.04 modem firmware, as 4.2 is supposed to install 03.07.00.

Any downside to this? I guess I need to wait til iTunes 10.1 and 4.2 final come out? What could be causing this? Never had an install/upgrade fail prior.

Thanks!

2. cirial thread starter macrumors regular

No one? I tried to load 4.1 using this iTunes 10.1 beta 2 as well and got a similar error at the same step. Have never been jail broken.

3. cirial thread starter macrumors regular

FIGURED IT OUT!

So stupid of me.. If you've used TinyUmbrella or some other Cydia-override routine to save your SHSH blobs or bypass iTunes' activation servers, therein laid my problem.

My hosts file had been modified, specifically the one that points to gs.apple.com to point to Cydia's servers actually.

Ive never jailbroken, but I saved my SHSH blobs just in case I wanted to go backwards.

/thread :D

4. macachia macrumors regular

can you please explain what you did please?

I have the same problem ;/

Cheers

5. cirial thread starter macrumors regular

Edit your hosts file.. I know in Windows 7 its in C:/Windows/sytem32/drivers/etc/

Open file hosts in wordpad and delete the line that says "74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com" and resave it