iPhone 4 - good at everything but being a phone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by patseguin, Jun 23, 2010.

1. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

Display is amazing, speed is quick, camera is great. Too bad I don't have a usable phone. Signal strength is non existent while holding the phone. Putting it down gets an instant 5 bars. Proximity sensor fails during calls and causes me to mute myself or put the party on hold. I've gotten 5 call failed messages in the 5 phone calls I've made so far. I'll give it 2 days to see if any fixes are forthcoming then I'm going to a different manufacturer.

2. Olivia23 macrumors 6502a

Olivia23

I will not put up with that spending 400 or more on a phone is too much for it not to work. Apple better do something about this or they better find a way to let me out of my contract if it does not work because I am coming from Verizon with the Droid.

I have owned the 3g and 3gs, and while they had some dropped calls, it sounds nothing like the 4 is getting. I'm kind of worried now about getting the phone tomorrow.

3. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

You don't even have your phone yet, and you're already assuming the worst?

Dont' assume that your experience will be bad just because someone else got a bum iPhone.

BTW: my new iPhone is functioning wonderfully.

4. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Phone calls are overrated. The iPhone is the future, so in the future everyone will have amazing phones with a high quality browser, tons of apps, but can only make phone calls when the iPhone decides it wants to.

I'm just hoping that my reception as good as it is now when I get my iPhone 4.

5. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

I can't tell if you're being serious or sarcastic, but I, non sarcastically, agree. I wish there was a 45 minute plan for the iPhone. I wouldn't mind paying 1/4 as much ($10 vs $40) for 1/10 the minutes.

6. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

Voice plans are a joke. I have the lowest voice plan with ATT and every month I talk less than 3 hours a month. The majority of my iPhone is for texting, email, and apps/web.

7. xxMACxx macrumors regular

+1 - Mine is working great with no issues.

8. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

I agree. We pay for over seven hours per month, but when I checked my iPhone, I had talked for 2 hours in like 8 months!! I'll try to make this go up when I get the iPhone 4 and go to AT&T, but I won't do 7 and a half hours a month :eek:

9. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I agree also, but that's the way it works. Those who overpay for data but don't use it subsidize the ones who use briskly, and the people who hardly use their voice subsidize the ones that use lots. I probably use one hour of time monthly...I have so many rollover minutes it's insane.

10. HarrisonB macrumors 6502

11. cc2096 macrumors regular

cc2096

12. lilo777 macrumors 603

The problem is that reception issue affects not just voice calls but down/up -load speed as well.

13. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

I was actually being both sarcastic and serious. Phone calls aren't completely overrated, though they're becoming increasingly outdated. You can text people for the easiest way to communicate, or in around three years when a signficant amount of people have a phone with a front-facing camera, have a video call with them. Phone calls will always be important for business and while driving.

14. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

But data is different. When they were all unlimited, yes, people who used less balanced out the people who used more so AT&T still makes enough money. But for voice, people using 6 hours can get the lowest plan. If you talk for 8 hours a day, then you would likely get unlimited, so no one is really subsidizing anyone else.

15. hookem12387 macrumors 6502

My reception is good, haven't dropped any calls and the call quality is better than before. Maybe you just got a bad one?

16. patseguin thread starter macrumors 65816

patseguin

Anyone with no reception problems having the proximity sensor issue?

17. rywat macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3gs: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

You push the screen against your face when you talk on the phone?

18. JustinP81 macrumors 6502

I dunno what you all are talking about... or rather, not talking about. I always, ALWAYS burn through my minutes each month, usually going well over my 400.

Then again, I could save some money if I upped the texts and just did that.

But I'm old school.

19. LordOBoogie macrumors 6502a

LordOBoogie

Me, too. *shrugs*

20. Nuc macrumors 6502a

Nuc

I've noticed that after upgrading my 3GS to iOS 4 that I've been dropping calls left and right... This didn't happen with OS 3.1.3.

Nuc

21. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Did you call AT&T to get support? If not, what forthcoming fixes do you expect? I cannot speak to how many of the 600,000 phones are in use right now, but your symptoms sound unique.

22. AustinSTI macrumors 6502

No Dropped Calls

On my 3GS I had incessant dropped calls. So far on my 4 - NONE. Not a One. Nothing but Crystal clear Voice...

23. andy71600 macrumors newbie

I cant even call the at&t number... This is insane. Every call I make fails before the other phone even rings

24. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Yikes. Obviously now we know what the issue is.

25. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

Take it in to the apple store and they will replace it. It sounds like your is worst than most. I hate to go against the grain but mine gets better reception than my 3GS did and that was before my case. To be fair before the bumper the signal indicator was lower but the sound was better than my 3GS.

I would do a full restore first set up as new phone, and see if that helps, that will be the first question they ask you at apple.