iPhone 4 (GSM) bricked

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by HarryWorksInc, Jun 27, 2011.

1. HarryWorksInc macrumors regular

Ok, so I am a registered developer and I downloaded iOS 5 beta 2 (I had the first release prior to this) and I restored it to the new .ipsw file but midway through the phone went unresponsive, Nothing comes on the screen if I hole the sleep/wake button, I tried doing a hard reboot. Nothing. The phone is completely bricked. I don't want to bring it to Apple because I dropped my phone a couple of months ago and smashed up the screen so I replaced it myself but in the process of switching the digitizer I lost the speaker grill on the front (I dropped it and couldn't find it) and the screws to the vibrating motor so I taped it in. It looks just fin on the outside but on the inside it's a little make shift so I don't want to bring it to Apple in fear that they will find out. So how can I unbrick my phone?

Any help is appreciated!

2. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

You might have better luck with an answer to your question over at the iPhone Hacks forum. I'm sure people in there have been in your shoes and could help you out.

3. ylerT macrumors regular

ylerT

Try placing your phone in DFU or Restore mode.

DFU mode: Hold home and power button for 10 seconds. After 10 seconds, let go of the power but continue holding the home button. Your iPhone screen should be completely black but iTunes will says it's in restore/recovery mode.

Restore mode: Hold home and power until you see the Apple logo (if it appears). When Apple logo appears, let go of the power button but keep holding the home. You'll see the "Connect To iTunes" screen.

If you can get it into either mode, try the Beta 2 software again. If that's not working, download 4.3.3 and downgrade.

4. thunderbunny macrumors 6502a

thunderbunny

Through iTunes beta 1 or 2? Need to do it via 1. If you did it through 2, disconnect, reconnect, recover to your last iOS 4 version and try again with iTunes beta 1

5. danimal975 macrumors newbie

I ran into the same problem. I initially tried updating through the xcode device organizer when it got bricked.

I was able to solve this by loading up downloading and installing itunes beta 2 and then installing the iOS 5 beta 2 through itunes. I did need to put the Phone in DFU mode(the phone still looked like it was powered off but iTunes saw it) in order to get it to work.

Good luck

6. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

DFU mode will be your friend. You can't brick an iPhone with software. Chill.

7. HarryWorksInc thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks everyone, yea I finally figured it out. But I tried putting it in dfu mode about 30 times and nothing the phone is completely bricked and of no use whatsoever however I just in the panic of it kinda forgot to try simply checking itunes and that recognized the phone.

Thanks everyone!

8. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

So it works now?

9. HarryWorksInc thread starter macrumors regular