iPhone 4 GSM buzz while on EDGE

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by chelloveck, Jun 30, 2010.

1. chelloveck macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I'm a MacRumors newbie. Hello to all!

My question is... Do you guys have an audible GSM buzz in your iPhone's ear piece when the phone is on EDGE? Has anyone else noticed this? Or do I just have a bad phone?

The noise isn't too loud but it is definitely there and it's noticeable. I usually run EDGE in places where 3G is unreliable.

2. trekkie604 macrumors 65816

trekkie604

you'll get the buzz when you're connected on EDGE.

3. chelloveck thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll hear the buzz in my phone ear speaker? My 3G didn't do this. I just need to know to see if I need a Genius appointment.

4. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

You shouldn't hear the buzz within the phone's own earpiece, it should be shielded from that. If yours is doing it, you should set up a genius appointment.

5. trekkie604 macrumors 65816

trekkie604

my bad, I didn't read that carefully enough obviously. I meant you'll get the buzz on unshielded external speakers... not the earpiece...

6. reese.reimers macrumors newbie

I am having the same issue. I called Apple Customer Support and the representative said to just wait until a software update comes out. He also said that if the software update doesn't fix the issue to go ahead and schedule a Genius Bar Appointment to get the phone replaced. I called this past weekend so their opinion of what you should do may be different.

7. mbob macrumors member

I occaisionally get it on my 3GS. The original phone and 3G seemed to not ever do it for me.

8. HiDEF macrumors 68000

HiDEF

9. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

I get the GSM buzz on GPRS on my 3G (we don't get Edge here in Australia) everywhere. The speaker, the earpiece and any thing unshielded within a 5 meter radius.

It's annoying as all hell and it better not happen with the soon to be mine iPhone 4.

10. wheezy macrumors 65816

wheezy

You're such a troll. AT&T has the best 3G coverage, don't you watch commercials? There is never an excuse to be on EDGE.

(this post written in sarcasm font)

11. Arcanezxz macrumors newbie

I've always heard the 'buzz' on extenal speakers and internal computer speakers whenever I was near them with both my 2G and 3G iPhone operating on the EGDE network. I have never had any buzz on the actual earpiece/headphones plugged into the iPhone.:)

12. HiDEF macrumors 68000

HiDEF

@wheezy, I only use EDGE to conserve battery when necessary.

13. HiDEF macrumors 68000

HiDEF

I know you'll get the buzzing sound w external speakers but this is coming from the handset speaker. My 3G never did this so that's why I'm a little concerned.

14. chelloveck thread starter macrumors newbie

Let me know what the genius bar tells you... And if it takes away other quirks your new phone may be doing.

15. HiDEF macrumors 68000

HiDEF

Will do! Hopefully they'll be able to hear the buzz with all the store noise. :cool:

16. SHIFTLife macrumors 6502

EDGE is GSM, so getting the buzz isn't out of the ordinary.

EDGE - Enhanced Data rates for GSM Evolution (silly acronym, I know, but still)

17. HiDEF macrumors 68000

HiDEF

For external speakers, it's nothing out of the ordinary but for the handsets "ear" speaker (not sure how to call it) it shouldn't be happening.

BTW, anyone know the name of that specific speaker? the one that goes to the ear? I know I probably sound ridiculous but I don't know how else to refer to it. :confused:

18. chelloveck thread starter macrumors newbie

That got me at first. I like "earpiece" like someone said up above :)

19. The Phazer macrumors 68030

Yeah, I get the same thing unfortunately. The earpiece doesn't appear to be shielded properly :-(

Phazer

20. UK-MacAddict macrumors regular

My first iPhone 4 had this issue and the replacement Apple sent has it as well.

I will change it one last time with Apple and if its still has buzzing. If it does I will be changing phones.

21. chelloveck thread starter macrumors newbie

Did the third phone have the buzzing while on EDGE?

22. themachine macrumors newbie

Hello guys. Sadly i have the same buzz problem. Please let me know if Apple recognises this problem so i can return my iphone and get a new one. So is this problem common or a rare one?

23. UK-MacAddict macrumors regular

Sorry for very late reply. But yes the third iPhone 4 had this issue as well.

In total I have been through 7 iPhone 4's and every single one has had this issue, the buzzing sound in the earpiece when you are on a call over EDGE. They all varied in how loud they buzzed as well.

5 were brand new sealed from 02, all from different batches and 2 were replacement handsets from Apple themselves.

So at the moment I'm using the original iPhone lol :p still works perfectly but bit slow haha. Wish I hadnt sold my 3GS before buying the iPhone 4.

Its a shame they have so many issues with iPhone 4. I've owned every iPhone model and none of them had any issues. But with iPhone 4 antenna issues and buzzing etc. Hope they redesign iPhone 5 next year.

24. Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

You mean that buzz in my computer speakers was NOT a feature of my old phone? It was so useful too - would let me know of an incoming call before the phone itself started to ring! :p