iPhone 4 GSM camera not working

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by LT1FirebirdSLP, Jun 17, 2012.

1. LT1FirebirdSLP macrumors newbie

I am attempting to repair a black 32 gb iPhone 4 gsm. Whenever you launch the camera the graphical shutter never opens and the slider for video/still kinda flickers.

I have tried doing a power cycle, then tried resetting via home and power, tried doingma full restore and setting up as new iphone, then physically replaced the camera module, now I am stumped. The phone will not take pictures. Could it be a busted logic board? Thoughts?

2. utahman130 macrumors 6502a

utahman130

How long ago did you buy the phone?

3. LT1FirebirdSLP thread starter macrumors newbie

The phone is about 2 years old now, no AppleCare. Trust me, I would have waltzed right up to the Genius Bar if I knew they would still cover it.

4. LT1FirebirdSLP thread starter macrumors newbie

Bump. Anyone have a similar problem? How did you resolve it?

5. nikhild macrumors newbie

Same Problem

:( I have the same problem i did all possible software things to make it work
    my both cams as well as the Flashlight wont work...
    i guess its the motherboard issue

6. LT1FirebirdSLP thread starter macrumors newbie

I ended up just using the phone for parts. I havent gotten a chance to look at the logic board and see if there is anything visually wrong with the board like a severe short or anything. I found one website that said something about a point on the board that the transistor fails and can cause this condition but it failed to give anything further in terms of repairability.

7. davida1, Feb 8, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2013

davida1 macrumors newbie

Same problem, caused by Light2 by Jason Ting?

I often use my iphone 4 as a flashlight, and recently updated the Light app by Jason Ting to Light 2, which has a dimming feature. I'm guessing it dims by rapidly turning the LED on and off, and this killed the power circuit to the flash and camera. The dimming LED worked for a few days, then it would only stay on for a few seconds, then finally no LED at all. At that point the camera wouldn't work either.

I tried replacing the camera module (ebay purchase), it didn't help. If anyone knows what controls the power to the flash and camera on the iPhone motherboard, please let us know.

My front camera still works.