iPhone 4 Gyroscope Fluctuation Problem

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Brian Hansen, Sep 18, 2010.

1. Brian Hansen macrumors newbie

I just got my iPhone 4 the other day and was playing around on it as expected. I downloaded an app that utilized the iPhone's gyroscope capabilities and began playing.

The tilting function started off working fine but slowly degraded to a point where tilting would achieve no movement at all, even after closing an re-opening the app. The app eventually went back to "normal" though still has the issue from time to time.

I downloaded the free Gyroscope application to see if the gyroscope was on the fritz. When the application is turned on and placed on a stable table (or floor) the measurements of roll, pitch, and yaw vary slightly despite no actual movements. I left the app on for approximately 10 minutes on the flat surface and here are the results.

3:22PM (Roll: 1 degree, Pitch: 0 degree, Yaw: 1 degree)
    3:23PM (Roll: 1 degree, Pitch: 0 degree, Yaw: 2 degree)
    3:27PM (Roll: 1 degree, Pitch: 0 degree, Yaw: 1 degree)
    3:27PM (Roll: 1 degree, Pitch: 0 degree, Yaw: 2 degree)
    3:28PM (Roll: 1 degree, Pitch: 0 degree, Yaw: 1 degree)
    3:33PM (Roll: 1 degree, Pitch: 0 degree, Yaw: 2 degree)

Obviously the Yaw is fluctuating slightly on its own despite any external interference.

Is this minor fluctuation normal OR is this an issue to be concerned of? Also, could this have caused my issue with the application failure?

Thanks

2. Bandolier macrumors 6502a

It's only 1 degree. Get over it. I could explain why, but you wouldn't listen and just keep thinking what you were before.

3. Brian Hansen thread starter macrumors newbie

No. I am more curious than anything. I welcome your reasoning and would like to hear it.

Also, if you say its nothing to worry about I believe you. Like I said, I would like to hear your insights as I am curious and enjoy understanding technology. Hope to hear back from you.

4. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

My Yaw property isn't expericing any issues, apart from -0, from deviation and interference. Roll is always 1. Hello gyroscopic deviation.

5. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

solid state gyros drift very easily, a change in temperature can make them read differently.

6. Brian Hansen thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. I was curious if temperature fluctuation could cause it. Perhaps cause of the minor expansion and contraction of the device itself as a result in varying temperatures.