iPhone 4 Head Unit - Help!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Rookie1986, Jun 15, 2010.

1. Rookie1986 macrumors 6502

Hey Guys,

I'm looking to get a head unit that I will be able to use with my iPhone 4 when it is launched next week. I'm looking for something that will allow me to use the existing stalk control in my C2 for track selection, be bluetooth enabled and allow calls to be answered on road, display album art from my iPhone on the units display, charge the iPhone (if possible) and finally be able to have everything plugged in to the back of the head unit to keep everything neat and tidy.

If anyone is able to give me some advice picking the right head unit then it would be appreciated :) - My C2 supports single and double DIN sized units.

Thanks,
    /Rookie

2. Kiirk macrumors member

I too have a C2, however there are not many that allow stalk control

- I ended up getting a Sony iPod one which allowed the iPod + iPhone to be controlled via the generic ipod cable, as well as being able to use an AUX in.

remember if you are in the UK the AUX cable will be closer to you, so it may cover your gear stick :O

Speaking to my mates dad who's in the car business - and he says that it would be hard to implement the stalk control :(

For the Album art, you would need one with a DVD display - and they are around £200 quid, but look tacky :(

3. Rookie1986 thread starter macrumors 6502

The stalk control is just done through an additional adaptor. I've been looking at a Pioneer AVH-4100 or AVH-4200 but buying either of these will mean I have to pay out extra for the stalk adaptor (£30-£40) and also for a bluetooth upgrade (£100-£125) and thats before any of the other cables, an iPhone connector is around £20-£30 alone!! I'm not sure what you mean by the "remember if you are in the UK the AUX cable will be closer to you, so it may cover your gear stick" part, are you able to go in to more detail?

Thanks,
    /Rookie

4. treyjustice macrumors 65816

treyjustice

I use the Kenwood DNX6140.... It is awesome. Great with my iPhone 3GS and will be compatible with iPhone 4. Although they upgraded it this year to the DNX6144 I think. Look into it. It is a great brand and this model has bluetooth and everything

5. Rookie1986 thread starter macrumors 6502

It looks good but seems very hard to find and at $1049.99 its kinda.... ok its well over what I was looking to budget for a new Head Unit. I'm more looking in the £200-£400 area if I'm honest. Thanks though, I will keep it in mind.

Anyone else got a car set up for their iPhone, it doesnt have to be a new head unit, I would consider something else too.

/Rookie

6. Kiirk macrumors member

When I am on about the AUX cables, most head units have them on the right, closed to the driver - I am assuming these radios are sold mainly for the US where it would be preferred that the AUX input would be furtherest from the driver. (With US driving on the left).

If you find an adapter - link me (Y)

Just looking for some bumpers and then my car will be done :p

7. Rookie1986 thread starter macrumors 6502

This should be of help - C2 Stalk Control Adaptor

I'm hoping to be able to run all of the cables behind my existing dash/footwell and mount the iPhone on the drivers right hand side so it can also be used as a Sat-Nav, I'm still pricing everything up right now but on cables and adaptors alone I can see things reaching £100ish and thats before the actual head unit >.<

/Rookie

8. Gagoots macrumors regular

iPhone for head?
    Hahahaha. You can't make that deal legally.

9. Rookie1986 thread starter macrumors 6502

Hey at these prices (£599 for 32GB) It wouldn't surprise me if some people would lol!

10. treyjustice macrumors 65816

treyjustice

yeah it is a little pricey. Well worth it though. Not sure where you can find one used it europe

11. Rookie1986 thread starter macrumors 6502

I will keep an eye out buy wont hold my breath.

Its strange but a lot of the Head Units once you get near the £400-£500 area seem very hard to find until you get near the £800-£1000 price range, maybe its because they are very popular or the manufactures are doing it so we go for the more expensive option.

12. Rookie1986 thread starter macrumors 6502

13. SexyBeast macrumors regular

14. Rookie1986 thread starter macrumors 6502

I like the look of that, but my head units a double I think so I would have to buy some plastic dash spacer/filler which just looks awful :(

15. symm2112 macrumors newbie

16. Rookie1986 thread starter macrumors 6502

I like that one a lot but I don't seem to be able to find a UK retailer for it :( - Anyone else have this problem when looking for a new head unit

17. Rookie1986 thread starter macrumors 6502

Does anyone know if an Alpine IXA-W407BT Head Unit would be any good???