iPhone 4 heating up abnormally

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by GlobalGentleman, Jul 2, 2010.

1. GlobalGentleman macrumors newbie

Just came onto the boards looking for iPhone 4 heat related issues and voila...found a few. Had mine since launch day and yes, the signal bars drop when I hold it in that 'special' way, but no calls dropped and otherwise the phone's been great.

Just a while ago, I 'closed' down a bunch of apps from the multitasking tray just before getting a phone call. After about two minutes on the phone, the left rear and side of the phone (when looking at the back) got hot to the point of being really uncomfortable to hold!! Hung up with the call....and within about 3-5min it was cool/normal to the touch. Received another call minutes later and it started to do the same thing after about two or three minutes of talking!! It is definitely heating up beyond comfort on the left side (battery side?) when you're looking at the back of the phone...battery capacity was at 29% when this issue started, but can't believe that should be a factor. Haven't gotten any overheat warnings. Anyone else starting to get these issues or anything similar??

device FYI--I only have about 15-20 apps on the phone and have only used appx 6hrs total talk time since purchase...have been treating it almost delicately anyway since it's my first iPhone, but this is concerning!!

2. rolling green macrumors newbie

Yes my wife and I have this issue when we are in the city. We've noticed it is directly related to bars dropping when we hold he phone which causes searching for service. The culprit is the dropping signal due to holding the phone

3. GlobalGentleman thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, that's interesting and I understand how that might cause issues for you....

the odd thing is that I was at home while all this happened, using my own wi-fi network so I wouldn't think a signal fade would be the main culprit. still puzzled.

4. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

What's next?

Attached Files:

5. eezing macrumors 6502

eezing

The belongs in the trouble shooting section of this forum.

Processor is on the left side. Try restarting.

6. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

The iPhone 4 is so thin that thermal management is bound to be difficult. The relatively thick glass panels don't help matters any. Hot operating temps tend to be an ongoing characteristic of many Apple products since they place style over functionality. I've had many new MacBook Pros that run downright hot. Since Apple keeps us in the dark as opposed to providing us with full specifications, there's no measurable way to know how hot is too hot. While there is a black screen that appears with an overheating warming, it's accuracy is in question. Some of us have seen it appear when the phone was operated indoors in low ambient temps. There's no predicting where things stand.

7. silroc macrumors 6502

silroc

mine got VERY hot all of a sudden - i think it was because it was hung in a loop looking for a signal (for the ESPN radio app)

sucker got hot, and i remembered that this could be real bad so i powered down and put it in the air conditioning stream in my car - let it cool for 10 minutes and put it back on

no issues since then (yesterday)