iPhone 4 heats up?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Halvard, May 9, 2011.

1. Halvard macrumors regular

Halvard

Just got my iPhone 4, had it for about 45 minutes and love it!
    But it seem to get very heated up. I've downloaded 4 or 5 apps and now updating it. And at the apple icon on the back of it its really hot.

Is that normal or what? I don't use any protection that covers the back of the iPhone.

2. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

If you are charging, and are updating apps it may heat up a little. It will cool down when you are done charging.

3. Halvard thread starter macrumors regular

Halvard

Okidoki thanks for answering! :)

4. PaulyD macrumors 6502

Yep, only ever found charging it makes it warm up on the back - normal use its fine :)

5. Halvard thread starter macrumors regular

Halvard

Where does the air comes out? Like where is the fan on the iPhone 4?
    And is it bad for it if I play on it while charging so it gets really hot? My iPhone it REALLY hot now!

6. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

LOL, there's no fan on the iPhone.

The iPhone 4 gets hot at times, I haven't figured out exactly what the biggest culprit is but even when not charging I've had my phone get really hot in my pocket. Never to any sort of dangerous temperature but it does happen.

It's really nothing to worry about.

7. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

If your phone is getting really hot, then you should probably schedule a Genius appointment to have them take a look at it.

My phone gets a little warm on back when I'm charging/syncing it to my MBP, or if I'm on the phone for awhile. But if your phone is at the point where it's really hot, you should get it checked out.

PS - There is no fan inside the iPhone.

8. anonymous guy macrumors 6502

the iPhone tends to warm up if you spend lots of time watching video or playing graphically intensive games.

9. Halvard thread starter macrumors regular

Halvard

Earlier today I played on the iPhone without charging it and it got a little warm. Then I was going to test out the camera, and I couldn't use the blitz becouse it was too hot.

Is this normal or should I get the iPhone tested?

10. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

It was "too hot"? Like too hot to handle? Mines definitely gotten "hot" but never to a point where holding it was uncomfortable. Are you sure you're not embellishing a little?

If you're not then I'd get it replaced, don't bother with fixing it.

11. PaulyD macrumors 6502

I agree with this post, mine gets hot but thats when charging it and using it at the same time (as your never going to notice its getting hot without holding it) but its never unbearable or even close to it

12. elan123 macrumors 6502

ou must be running the iheater app

13. Halvard thread starter macrumors regular

Halvard

I meant it was too hot to use the flash.

14. malnar macrumors 6502a

malnar

Just to add on here, mine *did* get too hot to handle while charging and using GPS apps. It was scorching hot, really unbelievably hot, and the last straw was when the screen dimmed by itself in the GPS app and wouldn't go back to normal brightness unless I restarted the iPhone (and then it would dim again if I charged and ran a GPS app.) Genius didn't know what it was, but swapped me out for safety reasons.

15. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

Sounds like the OP is overexagerating to me. Sorry to doubt it just seems too not true that the phone is just THAT hot.

16. javeria1990 macrumors newbie

With the battle between the Android and Apple iphone heating up.

17. iFiend macrumors 65816

This is normal. I dont think that the iPhone 4 gets any hotter than other iPhones but the glass is more conductive than plastic so you feel it more, IMO.

Try playing an hour of Infinity Blade. You can fry an egg on the back ;)

18. AliciaEileen macrumors newbie

Hey, I came across this post just now,

My iPhone gets ridiculously hot. It only started happening yesterday and it's ONLY if its actually on charge, and even now it's on charge the battery has stopped charging up. But it's too hot to hold, it hurt to hold the lock button down just to turn it off. I'm taking it in to get replaced but, any idea why this happens?
    I'm not exaggerating, it gets so hot I can't hold it. It hurts :(

Thanksamillion.

19. ph00ny macrumors member

Most electical devices with batteries will get hot during the charge. If your phone is getting too hot for it to stop charging then you should probably get it checked up to see if you have a faulty battery

Also as the devices get slimmer and faster heat will be more noticeable. There is simply no way around it other than more efficient power usage through smaller die and exotic material usage

20. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Sounds like it's time to get it checked out at the Apple store. That actually sounds dangerous.

21. nicksmolenski macrumors regular

nicksmolenski

Okay so I just had this problem with my phone.
    When the phone feels that hot, there could be something wrong with the battery, or something could be electrical shortaging going on. Apparently that happened to mine, but I don't know enough about the innards of the iPhone to indulge more.

The point is, get it replaced. If it shorts while plugged into your computer or your house, you could have a mess on your hands.

P.S. If the phone heats up while it's not being charged or used, and there's nothing in the multitasking, then that's another good sign of a problem.

Good luck :)

22. Fuzzy14 macrumors 65816

Fuzzy14

What I think the OP meant is sometimes the flash symbol on the camera has an error logo, when clicked on it a message states that the flash is currently too hot to use and you have to wait. I've had that message on an iPhone 4 even if it's been sitting unused and the phone itself is cool. Seems to start working again by itself after a minute.