iPhone 4 home button barely works

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by i4Collin, Aug 30, 2011.

1. i4Collin, Aug 30, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2011

i4Collin macrumors regular

The home button on my iPhone 4 only works when I press it fairly hard, and even then sometimes it doesn't work. I got my phone on launch day and did not extend the warranty so it is expired. Should I try my luck at the Apple Store or send it off to a service like iFixyouri for repairs? If I were to order a new home button is it easy to install? This phone has to last another year because when the iPhone 5 comes out I am giving it to my mother.

2. Dandrews524 macrumors 6502

id say try your luck with apple unless you are confident enough to fix it yourself. i dont think you dont send your phone to ifixit, they tell you how to fix it yourself

3. cinek macrumors 6502

4. 808? macrumors 6502a

5. tiptopp macrumors regular

tiptopp

Try a Genius

Although Apple are supposed to say no at the end of warranty, a colleague had a problem with a screen (yellow screen syndrome!) and took it back out of warranty. They paused to say that they were allowed 45 days leeway on warranty work, and it was 60 days out, but then replaced it anyway. As the button seems to be one of the common problems (I've had two replacements for the same), they might well be generous. They also replaced an iPad that I'd dropped - dead strip on the screen about 5mm wide - clearly not a warranty issue. But I had iOS5 on it, and they were keen to hear about it, as they're not allowed it on their own devices in case customers see it...

Try a smile and chat about how brilliant they are!

Tiptopp

6. gravityfall macrumors member

I have the exact same problem and it is really annoying when I want to exit apps. I know if I take it to the Apple store they will charge me a ridiculous price to get it fixed so I am just going to deal with it until the iPhone 5 comes out.