iphone 4 home button making loud clicking noise

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by KTS1193, Dec 7, 2010.

1. KTS1193 macrumors newbie

Everytime I press my iphone4 home button it makes a really loud click sound.. I don't know what's wrong with it. I dropped it once about 2 months ago but it just started with this loud click a week ago. HELP!

Will apple care cover this?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

3. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

As long as there is no physical damage (i.e. cracks or dents.)

Also have you tried restoring it? Because if you go to the Apple Store, they are probably just going to do that.

4. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

What type of clicking sound? A physical click or a click coming from the speakers? It sounds like normal behavior... The 4 has a loud click compared to the 3G and 3GS.

5. cris0631 macrumors newbie

mine does the same thing...though i didn't drop it. There is a clicking noise when i press the home button on the top left side. It comes and it goes. If i press anywhere else it's fine. So there's actually two clicks when i press it on that area. One abnormal one and the regular clicking sound that the IP4 makes. I think there something that is stuck on that side of the home button, like a part of the phone itself....Could they fix that kind of problem? I don't want a replacement IP4 b/c i don't want to loose my jailbreak....I was thinking about getting a Otterbox case so my home button would be concealed and the silicon would suppress the noise it's producing. Or w8 till 4.2 JB on the IP4 is all good....is urs like KTS1193?

6. cris0631 macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8A306)

Just bought the case...so far so good. I think that the case doesnt even allow you to press the home button in any other place but the center...so i guess thats good cause i sure dont want to get a replacement phone...

7. igorsky Suspended

Hey, there. Sorry to dig up this old thread, but I did a search on Google and find this, which happens to be the exact issue that I'm dealing with.

Were you able to get this resolved?

Thanks in advance!

8. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I have this issue too in the same location

Almost seems as if the botton is loose on that end (unseating from mount?) and when I press it, I can feel an initial slight click (like slightly caught on a ledge and pressing past that feeling) and then the one that it is supposed to make

Just started a few days ago and is quite annoying

9. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

my iPhone is like this too. and so was my original from launch. Im sure its normal.

10. igorsky Suspended

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

You know when I mentioned this to my gf she said she had the same issue and that eventually "it went away". And honestly I haven't really noticed it that much myself. So either this is some sort of temporary issue that these home buttons go through, or that with time you don't really notice it anymore.

11. kockgunner macrumors 68000

kockgunner

This has happened to some degree to every iPhone and iPhone replacement I've had. I don't recall it ever being the reason for exchange as its never caused functional issues AFAIK. My friend iPhone 4 however had this button problem and the button actually stopped working and he had to get a replacement.

12. arnie781 macrumors newbie

iPhone 4 home button "double clicking" noise

My 3 week old iPhone 4 began having this issue last night. I was extremely annoyed by the sound/feel of the home button when this occurred. After searching for a cure for hours, I tried shutting the phone off and holding the home button down and blowing into it and...IT WORKED!! Give it a try, if this annoys you as much as it annoyed me you will be quite pleased if this easy fix works for you as well. Let me know how it goes

-Arnie

13. bryann9182 macrumors regular

Somewhat of the same situations here with the phone Apple just gave me as a replacement. There's nothing wrong with the home button, but it feels slighlty stiffer/firmer when you press it than on the one I returned. The clicking sound isn't "loud" but it's more audible than the one on my old phone.

edit: just re-read through all the replies and noticed most people say there button feels loose. Mine feels fine, just somewhat firmer and the click is more audible on my replacement.