Iphone 4 home button not working.

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by ShipwrckedB0nes, Nov 13, 2012.

1. ShipwrckedB0nes macrumors newbie

So I have had my 32g iphone 4 for probably 2 years and was planning on upgrading, but someone in my family used my upgrade so now this little problem is something that I may have to live with for 4 years.

When I press my home button it hardly ever works, sometimes it will when I push it quickly and with the right finesse.
    My phone is definitely out of warranty, and there is no apple store for 50 miles. Is there anything I can do or is there a way that an at&t store could replace my phone?
    Thanks guys.

2. JamesWilliams12 macrumors member

From time to time, the iPhone Home button can become less responsive to clicks, and pressing the button will either result in a delay, lag, or sometimes complete unresponsiveness requiring multiple clicks. While this could be symptomatic of a hardware issue caused by moisture damage or dropping the phone, sometimes you can fix the response problem with the following sequence:

Open a default iOS application, such as Stocks, Calculator, or Weather
    Press and hold down the Power button until the “Slide to Power Off” dialog appears, then release
    Now press and hold the Home button until the “Slide to Power Off” screen disappears, force quitting the application
    Why this works to fix the buttons responsiveness isn’t entirely clear, because the procedure actually just force quits the application you launched in the first step. This procedure supposedly recalibrates the Home button. Whatever is going on behind the scenes, it does seem to work and definitely has made mine seem to respond quicker.

This should also help the iPad and iPod touch home buttons as well. If you try this and still have problems with the home button being unresponsive, you may just need to get it repaired.

3. ShipwrckedB0nes thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I tried that a couple of times, it did actually fix my girlfriends ipad, but to no avail on my phone. Looks like I need to just set a day at the apple store.
    Thanks for the help anyway.

4. Mac... nificent macrumors 6502

From the way you're describing it that almost sounds like a physical defect of the home button (bad switch). It could be something as easy as just being dirty.