iPhone 4 home button problem

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by gunnerz14l, Nov 26, 2010.

1. gunnerz14l macrumors newbie

Ive had my iPhone 4 for a couple of months now. It's on contract and is still under warranty. When I press the left side of the home button it is unresponsive. I have to apply excess pressure or press the right side if the button for it to register a press of the button. This becomes a nuisance when I'm just casually using my iPhone and I go to press the home button but nothing happens. It's not a serious problem but it's something that shouldn't happen in the first place.

Also, I got an official apple iPhone 4 bumper from the case program and I recently removed it and noticed that on the Silver rim of the phone some small patches of the matte silver colour are wearing away. This is certainly due to the case and not my own doing.

Does the warranty cover either of these issues and what should i do about them? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

2. scuzzbug macrumors member

I hae the exact Same problem with my iPhone 4 home button, except now, its almost completely unresponsive. I press everywhere and sometimes have to get to the point of turning my phone off and on again to get out of an application, very annoying. my problem is, that right after this started happening I also dropped the phone and shattered the screen (second time) fml. So I cant take it back to apple and just complain about the home button because they'll more then likely say its the screen.
    However I wouls think Apple would be happy to do a swap put, they did it for my mate who was having simila problems, no charge.

3. gunnerz14l thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok thanks for replying.

And hmm that's a problem.. I still think you should give it a try and see what Apple say though

4. Gadgetgeezer macrumors regular

I have seen this with a water damaged iPhone4. Take apart membrane button (after taking phone apart), clean with a fibre glass brush, reassemble and all works fine. Time taken 20 minutes. Cost £25 or $40. This happens to Blackberry buttons too, even without water contact.

Regards

Spencer

5. Sixtafoua macrumors 6502

Sixtafoua

Just send it back to apple or take it to an apple store, don't try to fix it yourself, you'll void the warranty.
    If you didn't have a warranty left, I would recommend fixing it yourself, but don't bother if you still have a warranty.:)

6. Austin M. macrumors 6502a

Austin M.

As the above person posted, don't try and fix it yourself, it will void the warranty. Also, if it's due to water damage, even though probably not, you will be screwed and Apple will not help you.

7. deff808 macrumors member

take it in to the apple store

i had the same problem

i send it in, they send it back unfix, losers!

8. scuzzbug macrumors member

I know this is a bit late and all, but in case anyone else stumbles across this later.. I ended up taking my phone into the apple store, shattered screen and all and they replaced mine completely free of charge, I can't say if that happens all the time, but it was a nice bonus for me :)