iPhone 4 Home Button Replacement

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by chizzer2003, Oct 25, 2011.

1. chizzer2003 macrumors member

Do Apple replace home buttons for free if they're broken when the phone is still within its 12month warranty period?

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

3. chizzer2003 thread starter macrumors member

Would that be free or would they charge a fee (this is still within warranty)

4. AlphaVictor87 macrumors 6502a

AlphaVictor87

Probably depends on the damage? how did you manage to break the home button but nothing else?

Or did the home button just stop working? If it just stopped working then yes they should replace it with a refurb

5. Moccasin macrumors 6502a

Moccasin

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I've had my phone replaced twice for a faulty home button. Second time the Genius didn't even blink and replaced it straight away. Since the screen was also cracked, I was very pleased to get a free refurb

6. jutte64 macrumors regular

I am having a problem where mine works sometimes but sometimes it does nothing when i push it or it thinks i double click it when i hit it once. i can get it to do on demand at times. would they still replace it even if it just acting up intermittently?

7. chizzer2003 thread starter macrumors member

That's exactly the same problem I am having too! Hopefully they replace it but I wouldn't get my hopes up, it depends on the genius you get...

8. aggieastrosfan macrumors member

Exactly the same problem I had with my 4 that I ended up getting replaced. As the Genius is messing around with it, I'm watching and thinking, "Great, it finally decides to work." But he just swapped the phone, and the next phone was SO much better, I never realized how bad my button was!

I'd take it in, if there's no evidence of accidental damage, I'd bet they just replace it for you.

9. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

What he said, Apple has two known issues, one is software based with the home button, the other is a hardware defect on certain iPhone 4 Home Buttons, so far I had two original phones replaced with newer ones, and it is night and day. So make an appointment and I am sure they will replace it.

10. jutte64 macrumors regular

Cool thanks guys! Thing that sucks though is the closest apple store is over an hour away, have to wait till the weekend to take it in.

11. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan

Does the phone that is brought in need to be tied to an AT&T account? Or is it okay to have another carrier like T-mobile when bringing it to a genius while under warranty.

12. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

as long as it's within warranty it shouldn't matter. Just remove the SIM if need be.

13. chizzer2003 thread starter macrumors member

I went to the Covent Garden one today and i wasn't eligible for a replacement because he didn't think it was "necessary". He took my phone for thorough diagnostics and tests and despite the home button being extremely un-sensitive, he didn't think it would warrant a replacement. I find it crazy the difference between different staff at apple stores!

14. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Just go in a few weeks and hopefully get another genius. I would have demanded a replacement though and asked to speak to the manager if he or she did not oblige. If there is something wrong with the phone and its still under warrantee, there should be no questions asked.

15. emjaycee18 macrumors regular

My phone is 3 months out of warranty. Does any know if they will charge me to replace just the home button, or if they'll charge me for a full replacement phone?

16. wpotere Guest

Nobody knows... Just go in but be prepared to pay as your warranty is expired.

17. Apothacarion macrumors member

Apothacarion

I had a similar issue. The home button on my 4S 64GB was not aligned correctly (twisted to the right) and had trouble responding occasionally when pushing it. I went to the Apple Store and they ordered one and replaced it for free last night...

... with a 16GB iPhone 4S. But that's another issue. Waiting for 10am to give them a call.

18. jutte64 macrumors regular

Went to the apple store Saturday evening and i was able to get my phone replaced to problems or questions asked. there was a guy right next to me that was having the same issue. he didn't know that his phone was out of warranty, because its so hard to look that up, and raised all kinds of hell because he spent two hours waiting to find out he would have to pay $150 to have his home button replaced. he left very angry, i left very happy!

Moral of this story, the extra $99 for apple care paid off, and checking your warranty and scheduling your appoint ahead of time saves a lot of hassles!

19. musika macrumors 65816

musika

Home button issues (along with other stuff, of course) is the reason I bought AppleCare+ for my 4S... peace of mind.