Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

w00t951

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
So my iPhone 4 is about 8 months old now.

Recently, the home button has stopped responding randomly.

For example: I would double click the Home button, and nothing happens. I rapid-fire click the Home button, and nothing happens. I click the Home button once, and the multitasking bar opens up. I double click the Home button, and the current app closes and Spotlight opens up.

Is this an OS bug, or is it hardware? I'm inclined to think it's hardware.

I would have gone to the Apple Store, but I've already gone 8 months ago because my FIRST iPhone had a defunct mike. I don't want to wear out my welcome.

Anyone else have this problem? If so, what did you do to get it fixed?

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
What version are you running?

Sounds like hardware to me. The first suggestion you're going to get here is restoring though. Even if you do go to Apple, they're going to ask if you tried and if you haven't, chances are they'll do it for you and send you away.

w00t951

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
What version are you running?

Sounds like hardware to me. The first suggestion you're going to get here is restoring though. Even if you do go to Apple, they're going to ask if you tried and if you haven't, chances are they'll do it for you and send you away.

The latest version as of last night. 4.3.5 or something. I've tried restoring, but it didn't do much. Thanks anyway.

CashDude

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2010
I have the same problem. After about 6 months, the button just gets worn out. It can be replaced, but all of the guts of the phone have to be removed to get to it.

Daelos

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Had the same issue. Took it into an apple store last Wednesday on last day of warrantee and they swapped it right out after checking for water damage (though my lock button had sunk too). If you can replicate it in store, then you won't have a problem getting it swapped out for a black box handset

Daelos

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Had the same issue. Took it into an apple store last Wednesday on last day of warrantee and they swapped it right out after checking for water damage (though my lock button had sunk too). If you can replicate it in store, then you won't have a problem getting it swapped out for a black box handset

danderton

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2010
Uk
Had Same issue

Had the same issue. took to apple and they swapped my iPhone there and then. no questions asked. they were VERY good

EDIT: They didn't even check it for water damage as mentioned above.

Last edited:

cinek

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2011
got the same issue, but my iPhone is out of warranty :( did anyone take their iPhone that was out of warranty?

rgs3

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2011
got the same issue, but my iPhone is out of warranty :( did anyone take their iPhone that was out of warranty?

My phone was out of warranty so I took it all apart (scary) and was able to fix it 100% by cleaning the home button with some windex and a qtip where it makes contact underneath. It was very dusty down there. Works like new now. Lots of detailed directions online to take the phone apart.

LSUtigers03

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2008
I'm having issues with my home button as well. My problem is I bought it on day 1 so the year warranty is over. I'm going to go by the Apple Store and take my chances.

cinek

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2011
My phone was out of warranty so I took it all apart (scary) and was able to fix it 100% by cleaning the home button with some windex and a qtip where it makes contact underneath. It was very dusty down there. Works like new now. Lots of detailed directions online to take the phone apart.

I've seen the guide on iFix it, but I'm scared I won't be able to put it back together :( doesn't look too easy

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
I have the same issue, but I have apple care so I'm just waiting for the replacement to arrive.

Bit annoying UPS want to take your old phone as they deliver the new one now. Means I have to wipe my phone ready a UPS guy that could turn up at any time of the day. I preferred it when they sent you the new phone and a box for your old one.

jap1198

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2009
Dallas, TX

My phone was having the same issue (as well as a clicky screen) so I took it in to the Apple Store about 1 month out of warranty and they replaced it, no questions asked. They checked the water sticker thing though.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
Common failure ... happened to both my and my dads, just go to genius bar.

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus
This is yet another reason to jailbreak. There is an app called Animator that allows you to create virtual buttons and finger swipes to do various things.

I have my home button set up so that when I press and hold qnywhere on the status bar, it is like hitting the home button. Saves many 'would be' presses on the physical button.

ri0ku

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
I had this problem too so went in and got it replaced there and then with no problems. Didnt even check to see if there was water damage or anything. Took about 1 minute and I was out with a new phone

Surrylic

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
has anyone tried calling apple care to get it replaced?

EXACTLY

I took my phone in, a week after warranty was up!, and they replaced it no questions asked for this same issue. They've probably heard it a thousand times before. HEY OP - it's only 8 months old, just take it to your nearest apple store. From the time you meet up with the Genius to the time you walk out the door is 5 minutes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.