iPhone 4 = Hot Ear?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rotobadger, Jul 10, 2010.

1. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

I'm not sure if it's my imagination but it seems that talking on my iPhone 4 for a period of over 5 minutes or so gives me a hot, slightly aching ear. I did not get this from my 3GS.

Anyone else? Or is it in my head (ear)?

2. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

Hopefully you're imagining it. But if you're on the phone for long periods of time, and to me 5 minutes is a long time except when on hold like for AT&T support etc, then all bets are off. Remember ALL cell phones radiate energy when they transmit and lesser amounts when they receive.

Advice keep it short, and never use a cell phone while driving. Never.

3. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

And that has what to do with the thread?

4. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

What i was thinking...

It just may transmit more radiation than the 3GS.

5. koilvr macrumors 6502

koilvr

I use my cellphone when I drive, I also text too. I sometimes shave, an read the comics too. All while I drive.

6. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

I was just on the phone for about an hour and a half and my ear felt fine. I wonder if maybe you might be conscious of the proximity sensor thing + the death grip thing and thus might be holding it in a manner that's different than normal. I could totally see your ear feeling weird after a bit if that's the case.

7. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

I've noticed the same effect with my 3G. Among the possibilities: RF from the phone is heating up the tissues, or maybe it's just that clasping a piece of plastic, metal and glass to the side of one's head prevents air circulation and makes things feel hot.

Solution, either way: use your headset.