IPhone 4 & IBook G3 tethering

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Megmk05, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Megmk05 macrumors newbie

I'm Sorry if this is in the wrong section, I just need someone's help!!

I have a iPhone 4 version 5.1.1 & today I got my iBook in the mail... It's a g3 running Mac OS X version 10.4.11 with 900MHz, 640 MB, 40GB, and it has a airport card. I don't have Internet at my apartment, so right now I'm trying to figure out if I should upgrade my iPhone data plan to include a hotspot w/ tethering(is it even possible to tether these two together since they run two different versions?) or is it possible to jailbreak my iPhone and then download My WI 5.5 and tether them that way? I don't know what to do. The iTunes on the g3 is version 9.2.1, when I plug my phone into laptop it says I need iTunes 10.5 or higher.

I hope that makes sense..I tried to make my issue ad clear as possible...

2. Ndhusmc macrumors newbie

When you make your iPhone a hotspot it just establishes a WiFi network you would be able to connect to with your iBook. If you establish your hotspot through your carrier or through other means is on you. Unfortunately for you syncing and updating your iPhone 4 with the iBook is another thing all together. I'm pretty sure you won't be able to update your iPhone without iTunes 10.5 because anything earlier than that won't even know what an iPhone 4 is.

3. Stooby Mcdoobie macrumors 6502a

Stooby Mcdoobie

I use PDANet on my jailbroken iPhone 4 (5.1.1) and it works pretty well. If you use an app like PDANet or MiWi, you won't have to purchase a tethering plan from your carrier. I'm sure they can tell if you're using it that way, though, so try to use it sparingly.

PDANet has a USB tethering client if you don't want to create a hotspot, but I think it requires iTunes 10.x to run (at least the Windows version does).

4. Megmk05 thread starter macrumors newbie

With the G4 model having built in wifi would that one connect to my AT&T hotspot on my phone? I believe the g4 has version 10.5 iTunes to, and when I plug my phone into the G3 right now it says my iPhone is only compatible with iTunes 10.5 or higher

5. Stooby Mcdoobie macrumors 6502a

Stooby Mcdoobie

If you use a mobile hotspot, you won't need to plug your iPhone into your Mac. You just go into your WiFi connections and find the hotspot you created with your phone, then connect to it just like you would if it was a WiFi router.

The only reason you'd need to plug your iPhone into your Mac is to jailbreak it, but you don't need iTunes to jailbreak.