iPhone 4 in Japan

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by And1ss, Jul 17, 2011.

1. And1ss macrumors 6502a

And1ss

Hey guys,

I'll be spending the upcoming year in Japan (World Cup Champs!) for study abroad and I was wondering have any of ya'll used your US iphone 4 on softbank or whatever carrier and if so, how did you manage to do so? Was it difficult, is it worth the trouble of unlocking, etc?

My alternative solution is either use the iphone as an iPod touch or attempt to sell the iphone 4, buy a refurbished ipod touch and use the rest of the money to offset my remaining year contract.

Any opinions, suggestions, etc. Thanks!

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You obviously cannot use your iPhone 4 in Japan unless it's jailbroken. Is your iPhone 4 jailbroken?

3. bangable macrumors newbie

if your phone is 4.3.3: jailbreakme.com to jailbreak

then follow google instructions to unlock the phone yourself :)

4. iammike1 macrumors 6502a

iammike1

Have fun convincing Softbank to sell you the proper equipment and plan. I hear it's a big pain.

5. And1ss thread starter macrumors 6502a

And1ss

That's what I feared..been reading up on softbank's iron rules on iPhone. I guess I better just sell the iPhone.

6. mwhities macrumors 6502a

How much? I'm looking. :)

7. palpatine macrumors 68040

my guess is that you will need to buy a new phone from softbank, and it will come bundled with a two year plan. i am using a dumb phone with docomo right now, but i am only here for a year, so i will have to pay a cancelation fee at the end of the year. otherwise, you might be able to do some kind of prepaid thing, but i doubt that would go well. if you have connections, perhaps you could get in on someone's family plan :)

8. And1ss thread starter macrumors 6502a

And1ss

Yeah, phone + cancellation doesn't seem worth the hassle. I mean, I'll probably be content with any phone on softbank. I just want to extend my "use" of my iPhone. Prepaid would mean unlock hassle and baseband and all that good stuff haha.

Curious, why did you choose docomo over softbank and what is your average monthly bill?

9. And1ss thread starter macrumors 6502a

And1ss

If I were to end up selling and judging by my preliminary ebay listing look, I'd say around $400, give or take. That price is me being optimistic seeing how the rumors about 4S or 5 will probably depress the 4's value.

10. Paradoxpm macrumors member

弊社では、2011年7月1日より他社(docomo、海外製)SIMフリー端末を
    お持ち込みいただくことで、USIMカード単体での新規ご契約が可能と
    なります。

なお、誠に恐れ入りますが、SIMフリーのiPhone、iPadを持ち込んで
    の、USIMカード単体でのご契約は行う事ができません。