iPhone 4 in the toilet ALL NIGHT!?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Zerah, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Zerah macrumors newbie

Dec 13, 2012
    Oh no. I couldn't find my phone last night. This morning my partner found it in the TOILET. I think my toddler must have dropped it in there.. :(

I put it in a bag of rice this morning.... but couldn't find a fitting tool to unscrew the case with.

Is it going to survive?! I wish it had insurance like a normal phone.

What is the worst anyone has had an iphone survive??

Also I read that others had to do a restore after that. I have never backed up my iphone, I wouldn't even know how. So.. what if it needs a restore? I guess I have to take it back to the apple store and ask them? (Or will they not do that now?)

I really hope I won't lose my photos.

And,, how long do you think I should leave it in rice? (I have it in about a cup 1/2 to 2 cups of rice). Do you think I should change out the rice at some point?

Help! :eek:
  2. tgi macrumors 65816

Aug 29, 2012
    I think it might be dead forever. Some people's phones stop working after only a few seconds in water.

Let us know the outcome.
  3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Apr 16, 2008
    At the iPhone hacks section.
    Yep, I wouldnt hold my breath.
    Its ruined.
    $149 for a replacement at Apple.
  4. FixBrokeni macrumors member

Dec 12, 2012
    That's a tough one. If you haven't already, DO NOT TRY TO TURN THE DEVICE ON for a few days (until the water is completely gone). This will short the device, and make even more damage. Chances are it's fixable, but the cost of a new logic board, connectors, etc. would be far more expensive and time consuming than purchasing a new/used device.
  5. Zerah thread starter macrumors newbie

Dec 13, 2012
    Yes I have NOT attempted to turn it on. It was also in a rubber/plastic case. I guess I will wait at least 4 days to try it. Maybe more if I can be patient enough...
  6. FixBrokeni macrumors member

Dec 12, 2012
    Glad to hear that! Atleast when your child grows up you can laugh at the time they wanted to take your iPhone swimming :D
  7. ChrisMan287 macrumors 6502

Nov 18, 2012
  8. aarif2012 macrumors member

Aug 9, 2012
    Sounds like it has been through an adventure :eek:

hope for the best. Just DO NOT TURN ON!
    for at least a week ~

I am also curious about the case. How is it?
  9. Spikeywan macrumors 6502

Dec 11, 2012
    If it was on when dropped in water, how would you go about turning it off?