Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigbadneil

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 18, 2009
Guys,
Is the iPhone 4 ready available in all apple stores in the UK?? I will be back in the UK (Solihull) for 2 days and want to buy a New 32GB iPhone 4 (Factory unlocked)..........and take it back to Thailand with me.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Guys,
Is the iPhone 4 ready available in all apple stores in the UK?? I will be back in the UK (Solihull) for 2 days and want to buy a New 32GB iPhone 4 (Factory unlocked)..........and take it back to Thailand with me.

Seemed ok when I went with my friend who got one there and then in London

stradale33

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2010
Planning a similar trick.

I rang a couple of stores today (Milton Keynes and Regent Street, London) and they said they were sold out.

Both said new apple stock expected tuesday but not necessarily iPhone 4's.

milamber

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2008
AFAIK the iPhones bought in stores are european locked but online bought they're worldwide unlocked

OMGitsShan

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2010
AFAIK the iPhones bought in stores are european locked but online bought they're worldwide unlocked

FALSE. unlocked is unlocked.. there is no regional unlock. Either its fully unlocked and you can keep changing SIMs as often as you want or its locked to a carrier.

Also good luck getting a phone in London. Went to Regent street on Monday and there was a queue of more than 250 people. They had stock - I saw a huge pyramid of iPhone boxes behind the cashiers. They closed the line and didn't allow anyone else to join as there was a wait of 4/5 hours.

Wednesday a friend of mine went outside the store at 6am and there were already 20 people infront of her. Store manager opened the doors at 9am and then told everyone that they only had 20 iPhones. Everyone in the back of the line ran forward - lots of pushing and shoving, needless to say.. the first 10 people all snapped up 2 phones each, so my friend and everyone else walked away without anything.

Stampyhead

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2004
London, UK
Wow, I can't believe there are still shortages here in London. I put my name on the waiting list at the Brent Cross store back at the beginning of July, and after around 2 weeks they called me to come pick up my iPhone. That seems to me the best way to go, if stores are still doing waiting lists, rather than playing 'iPhone roulette' every day...

milamber

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2008
FALSE. unlocked is unlocked.. there is no regional unlock. Either its fully unlocked and you can keep changing SIMs as often as you want or its locked to a carrier.

Also good luck getting a phone in London. Went to Regent street on Monday and there was a queue of more than 250 people. They had stock - I saw a huge pyramid of iPhone boxes behind the cashiers. They closed the line and didn't allow anyone else to join as there was a wait of 4/5 hours.

Wednesday a friend of mine went outside the store at 6am and there were already 20 people infront of her. Store manager opened the doors at 9am and then told everyone that they only had 20 iPhones. Everyone in the back of the line ran forward - lots of pushing and shoving, needless to say.. the first 10 people all snapped up 2 phones each, so my friend and everyone else walked away without anything.

No you're wrong. I asked in Glasgow Apple store. Ask dave one of the geniuses. Confirmed that instore bought iPhones are european carrier locked.

OMGitsShan

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2010
No you're wrong. I asked in Glasgow Apple store. Ask dave one of the geniuses. Confirmed that instore bought iPhones are european carrier locked.

LMAO at two geniuses here! I suggest Dave find a new job since he clearly has no clue and you need to stop spreading false rumours. If you actually thought about it, you would see how silly it would be to have 2 types of locks - one for Worldwide and one for Europe.

The phones are sold as SIM Unlocked - both online AND retail. Nowhere does it state that purchasing a phone either online or retail provides a different unlock compared to buying the other way. It would also be false advertising to claim the phones are fully unlocked when infact they aren't.

In London, 2 months into the launch - you still cannot walk into an Apple store and buy a phone without joining a queue 8 hours before the store opens. Do you know why? Well for 2 reasons. Firstly most people buying it, buy it with the intention to sell abroad. To countries that do not have iPhone 4s and with people who will be happy to pay.

Secondly, people who visit the UK want to pick one up for themselves and go to their own countries and use them. Are you telling me that everyone who buys a retail phone is living in Europe? If they aren't (and according to you they only have a European unlocked phone in the store) - shouldn't Apples forums (and others such as MacRumors) be flooded with people talking about how they bought an unlocked phone which they thought was fully unlocked but found out that in their country the phone doesn't work? That they didn't know standing at the Regent Street store for hours only to then fly for 11 hours back to their home country that the store phones were only "European unlocked"? Doesn't sound silly to you?

I don't know about you, but I dont see any threads about people thinking they bought an iPhone 4 unlocked and found out it wasn't. the UK sold phones on launch day and was one of the only countries to have a fully SIM unlocked phone on day one and you can bet many of the first sold phones went abroad to eager buyers.

I suggest you read this. The last time I checked, "International" and "Worldwide" didn't only mean Europe:

http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/home/shop_iphone/family/iphone#faqs

ARSC

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2010

haha this is brilliant

i have bought two iphone 4 one from apple store(regent street) and the second one from the online store.

I REPEAT BOTH ARE UNLOCKED AND WORK ON ANY SIM WORLDWIDE.

USED MINE IN INDIA,SINGAPORE AND THAILAND.

Which world you living buddy :) and i agree with OMGitsShan post.

bigbadneil

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 18, 2009
I'm from solihull
Yes Sir I am from Solihull and will only be there from the 17th September thru 20th September am and flying back to Singapore "hopefully with a NEW phone" (is there a way to order it from the store by phone???)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.