Iphone 4 in washing machine!!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by CarlWest, Jan 2, 2012.

1. CarlWest macrumors newbie

So I just accidentally got my week old iPhone 4 from telus in a top load washer... It had a back case on, I took it out immediatly, removed the case and sim card and put it in a bowl of rice. It's damp but the sim card seems fine. How long should I keep it in the bowl and whats the worst thing that can happen? I'm with telus canada and It's only been a week, will I get a replacement???? :confused:

2. RodThePlod macrumors 6502a

RodThePlod

How long was it in the washer for? You did the right things so you never know, you may be lucky. If I were you I'd leave it in that rice for at least four or five days (and possibly more) before attempting to turn it on.

I have no idea what telus are like, but sometimes it's worthwhile just being honest and explaining what happened. If you get the right person, you may just get a free replacement. See how the rice trick works out first tho.

RTP.

3. CarlWest thread starter macrumors newbie

It was in 10-15 minutes, I have telus internet and personally they are the bitchiest company I've ever been with, I have no hope.

4. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Welcome to MacRumors, sorry your new year is off to this start.

Perform a forum search for "Dropped iPhone in Water" - you'll get dozens (if not hundreds) of threads.

You've done the right thing thusfar, don't be impaitent and try to charge / power it on until it's dried for several days. After a day or two, swap the rice for some fresh dry stuff. Try to keep it somewhere warm, to expedite the process.

Patience will be rewarded, rushing it, will condemn it to death.

5. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

as everyone says ... change the rice daily and do not turn it on for at least a week.

I have been with Telus since they were named Clearnet ... Telus has been great for me ... ask them nicely and maybe they will help you out.

Good luck

6. CarlWest thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys. I'll just leave it for a week changing the rice every 2 days and see if it works at the end, if its not I'll have to check with telus

7. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

I have a closing thought - you said it was in the wash for 10-15 minutes?

Did it yet reach the rinse cycle? As you may have to remove the soap residue using some distilled water. Counter-intuitive, I know - but soap will not evaporate, so your device will not recover. Rinsing in distilled water will remove the soap, improving the odds of this surviving. I wash expensive and complicated electronics in DI water every day - it will not make things any worse then they currently are.

Edit* not every day, I don't do it on weekends. Yet.

8. CarlWest thread starter macrumors newbie

It went through the whole cycle.

9. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

It's a goner for sure. It was on when the water hit it. Make a genius appointment and try your luck but be prepared to spend $200 on a replacement.

10. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Really? So everyone else whom recovered theirs after going through the wash, falling into sinks / toilets - are all lying about it?

Yes, there is a chance the phone is dead, and there is also a chance it is not - not sure how you're certain it's dead. Especially considering the OP quickly removed it from the water and started drying it - that improves their odds.

11. CarlWest thread starter macrumors newbie

Do I take the phone to the telus outlet, future shop (Where I got it) or the apple store, if I need to

12. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Try the Apple Store first ... then Telus ... Future Shop will probably tell you to contact Apple

13. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Personally, I would go the Apple store route if I had to, and be honest with them. Sometimes you can luck out, and they will be kind enough to swap you for free, worst case, they will charge you a fixed rate to replace the phone. (150 or 200USD, if memory serves) FYI, the out-right purchase cost of the phone is up to $750.00 (as of the 4, the 4S may be higher) - the providers subsidize heavily, so in that light, the 150-200 isn't as bad as it appears. To reiterate, don't lie about it, both Apple and the people you bought it from, know about the water-sensors, and where to look.

That said, if your phone survives this, it'll likely be fine indefinitely. Providing you do not power it back on or charge it while there is still water inside. The electrical short caused by water exposure will crash it, but very unlikely to kill it. It's electrolysis (acidification of the water which then corrodes the internals) that actually causes permanent damage. Remove the water, and the electrolysis is stopped.

14. CarlWest thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks mate :)

15. 808? macrumors 6502a

The dry rice will work better if it is in a air-tight container or plastic zip lock bag.

You don't have to change the rice every few days, just make sure there is plenty around the phone.

(at least 500 grams)

16. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I just wanna know the reaulrs

17. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

20 minutes submerged, not looking too promising. My daughter had an iPod nano go through a wash cycle. RIP.

Worth drying out for sure, but I'd brace myself for the worst and hope for the best.

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Stick it in the dryer now:D

19. CarlWest thread starter macrumors newbie

So will I get a new phone or will I have to pay $150 or what?

20. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, you will get a replacement after you pay the $150 obviously.
    That's their policy and warranty doesnt cover the spin cycle.
    You might get lucky though if they feel bad and give it to you free but dont count on it or expect not to have to pay.

21. CarlWest thread starter macrumors newbie

thx

22. irDigital0l Guest

Why would you get a free new phone for free?

Your paying for your mistake...

Pretty sure if you read the warranty that washing your iphone isn't covered.

23. YMark macrumors 6502a

YMark

:rolleyes: Have you read what you wrote? :D

24. Molecule macrumors regular

You'll probably have to fork out for a new one, but look on the bright side: you can buy a 4S this time :)

25. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

Were you able to turn the phone off before putting it in the rice? Or is it maybe still on?